Quote Originally Posted by 4x4twenty6 View Post
I now stay away from dropping mags, specifically ar mags because one of my mags got damaged that way and wouldnt allow the round to feed into the chamber after 1 shot. I had to chamber a round using the charging handle which would work until that round was fired.
What works for me and what I do for a living, is to retrieve a full mag and reload the full mag while placing the already used mag back in my mag pouch if it still has rounds or in my dump pouch if empty.
It works for me and keeps my speed up and my rifle always has a round in the chamber while I reload.
I love this site and readin everyones tactics, it's great!
Assuming from your avatar in ACUs and FLC, that you are a soldier, I'll just point out that tac reloads work a lot better in a firefight if you have a support-by-fire element and a fireteam or rifle squad of buddies taking up the slack. As a young hooah, we were taught to speed reload the first mag change to develop and maintain a base of fire, but after that, to perform tac reloads (I'm old enough that we shoved spent mags down the front of our BDU t-shirt....)

A solo shooter or a two-man buddy team doesn't really have as much leeway to keep their gun down as long. I can run a smoking fast tac reload, but nowhere near as fast as I can get my gun back up with a speed reload. I'd much rather pony up the $12 for a new mag occasionally than the cost of a funeral for myself or wife or kid because I was worried about bending feedlips. Besides, as Alaskapopo pointed out, doctrinally speaking, mags ARE an expendable item. If you're getting bent feed lips/mag damage, talk to supply bro.