Thread: S&W 637 vs. 642

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

S&W 637 vs. 642

I've not seen much discussion on S&W J-Frames here and I had a question for the experts. I am looking into buying either a 637 or a 642, but can't make up my mind which would be better for my uses. I currently have a Ruger LCP which I use for pocket carry and would like to use the J-frame to rotate in during the winter time and maybe even as a full time carry gun. My question is on the topic of exposed vs. internal hammer. I really like the idea of being able to shoot single action if I want, but I figure if I ever needed to use the gun it would be used in double action, so I may as well practice in double action anyways. My concern with the exposed hammer is with pocket carry and the possibility of something snagging the hammer and the possibility of a ND. Is this even a feasible concern? I have a manager at work who would like to sell a 642 which she bought about a year and a half ago (lock version), and she said she would sell it for $100 less than the going rate for a new one, which I have found to be in the $350-$370 range. Do you all think it would be fair to start at an offer of $250? Or should try to find one without the lock?

ETA: She bought the pistol new and she says it is in like-new condition.

Thanks guys,

Mark
    Last edited by mhanna91; 09-26-11 at 14:46.