Thread: "Fast" AR

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Fandango View Post
    How would one go about measuring recoil and the recoil-reduction in a scientific, data-driven way? I have a Battlecomp and a mid length gas system on my rifle, and shooting it back to back with my dad's rifle with an A2 birdcage and carbine gas, it seems to me that my gun has less felt recoil than his. What's the next step if one wanted to take the "felt" part out of that, and is it feasible for most shooters? Pressure sensor on the butt of the rifle? High speed video and a vertical scale to measure muzzle rise?
    The way I see it there are two aspects to this. The first is a purely physical, which is sort of irrelevant but still good information to have) on it's own. Pressure sensors, accelerometers, and other measuring devices, etc.

The second would be to measure your own performance. Shoot several drills that have to do purely with the mechanics of driving the gun, or quickly shooting multiple rounds onto a single target, and measure your time and group size. The relies a little more on an experienced shooter as shooters on the lower end of the spectrum and extreme high end will get the most out of widgets. Low end because they are inexperienced and the gizmos will mask their flaws, high end because they can truly take advantage of the benefits.

By doing either you would put yourself into the one percent of gun owners that even bothers to try.
    Last edited by rob_s; 07-23-12 at 18:50.