Thread: Carrying a $2,000+ 1911?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    I'm sorry but I just don't agree with that at all. I own and carry (one at a time!) quite a few different 1911s and I have never found that to be, even remotely, true. It is, however, a mantra that is chanted, far and wide, so many consider it to be the gospel. All I can say to those that believe it is, "You should have bought a better 1911 to begin with."I have had very few problems that were easily solved by a few springs, followers and (one time), a new slide stop. Buy good mags, change some springs every now and then and clean and lube is all that is needed. Besides, Glocks have no soul.
    As always, YMMV.
    Really so a Wilson CQB is not good enough. I am not spreading internet rumor its personal experience. I have owned a fair number of 1911's and still own some. The thing is they do take a lot more work than a modern auto to keep running. The said Wilson ran then one day when I took the grips off the plunger tube fell off, Fixed that, then the ejector got loose got a new one and filed it for a solid steel pin, then it started having issues stove pipes. Got a new extractor and tuned it, and then the cycle repeated. I shot about 12000 rounds through it at that point and just did not trust it any more. The real truth those that don't think 1911's take more maintance are casual shooters who put maybe 200 rounds a year through the gun. When you start to actually shoot them you learn. With a Glock you simple don't have those kinds of issues. My 17's have always ran. They really don't need to be cleaned or lubed that often. Never had to replace any parts other than mag springs.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 09-07-12 at 21:27.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.