Yes and no.

Yes it is on the side rail. This has been proven time and time again to be one of the parts of an AK that doesn't move when firing. The Russians weren't dumb when they move the optics to this location.

If you make the top cover too rigid, you risk a lot by tying two components together that in an AK aren't meant to be rigidly tied together. This will break one of the pieces, usually the milled AL piece.

The only way around this would be to create a new receiver, or cantilever a mount off the front of the rifle.

Basically use a Krebs rail or a side rail if you want the optic towards the rear, or a handguard mount like the ultimak up front.

I LOVE the idea - and have been chewing on it for nearly 3 years, but I cant find anything better than the side rail. Everything has too many shortcomings compared to side rails. The only downside of side rails is that you cannot lock a side folding stock and that not all AK's have one.

A better solution is definitely out there somewhere - I know I haven't found "ideal" yet.