Thread: Reality Check: Sage M14 at 1000m

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sorry OP for having to deal with idiots, and thank you for your service.... I never take anything that gun store commandos say seriously.

Getting back on topic of the M14…. I agree that the modern 7.62x51 platforms (Larue OBR, KAC offerings, etc.) are MUCH better for size, weight, training (soldiers already being familiar with AR style rifles) etc. But I have had nothing but great results with 2 of my LRB arms M25 rifles (18.5" barrels). Now these are not “1960s rack grade” rifles: LRB arms forged receiver, integrated picatinny rail, medium contour barrel, Sage stock…. But neither have been bedded or match grade tuned.

I have one is a Sage Mod 1 stock, and one in a regular GI fiberglass stock, and both shoot sub MOA with match ammo (gold medal match 168 grain). I average 0.59-0.89 inch, five shot groups with both rifles. If I had to do it all over again I would go with a Larue OBR or similar rifle to make training with my other ARs more consistent, but I have way too many USGI magazines and other support parts stocked up for the M14 to make switching worthwhile. Not to mention shooting the M14 is just more fun to shoot than shooting my ARs (personal opinion of course).

I wouldn’t want to go to war with an M14 when other choices like the OBR are now available; as my Sage EBR setup is heavy. (close to 14 pounds with bipod and scope).

Again, my LRBs are not “rack grade” horror stories like many of you have experienced, but decent M14s are definitely capable to reaching out to 1,000 yards.
    Last edited by domestique; 12-14-12 at 04:57. Reason: Added details
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.