Thread: Quantified Bullet Deflection vs Windshields

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Quantified Bullet Deflection vs Windshields

I've been chewing through this forum page for quite a while, and it's been very informative - especially getting to read such a wide variety of actual test data.

My primary question concerns actual deflection of projectiles versus auto windshields. I'm familiar with the arguments that nine millimeter hollowpoint ammo deflects "badly" versus auto windshields...this is one reason I chose the Ranger RA9TA over faster 115gr loadings as my carry ammo. However, I've yet to find/google/browse through something that actually quantifies "bad deflection."

What's most common? Are we talking a deflection of a few degrees, resulting in a few inches POI/POA difference, or are we talking a major deflection that would cause a miss on a standard human target? In almost everything I've seen it's a nebulous statement.

Also, what's the difference between 9mm, .40, and .45 on this? I have a hard time believing any of the above just lasers through a modern auto windshield with zero deflection.

My chosen loads are the Ranger SXT RA9TA, 127gr +P+, and the Speer Gold Dot 124gr for my dad's aging Smith & Wesson 59's as he is concerned about beating them to death with +P and +P+ ammunition. Any data on these would be appreciated, especially as they compare in terms of deflection as compared to 165gr/180gr .40 S&W loadings.

On this forum I've seen some of the most detailed and thorough information on terminal performance I've ever come across, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
    Last edited by marksman1023; 12-17-12 at 03:33.