Thread: Project Photo Essay: DIY Grip-Safety Install and Other Upgrades

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Project Photo Essay: DIY Grip-Safety Install and Other Upgrades

This is the fourth of these I've done. I'm not a pistolsmith and these have all been my own guns. The first three were done long ago (1994-98) which I used at the time for IPSC matches. My eyes were a lot sharper and hands steadier back then, both for shooting and pistolsmithing. I should have never traded off the last one (for a CZ 75B of all things). Shooting mostly various plastic-fantasics ever since. Being 1911-less though recently got me nostalgic, leading eventually to the below. The pics pretty much tell the rest.

Before -- Colt Government bought new last month, specifically for this work-up. All mil-spec. Note the cheap molded rubber grips, and plastic mainspring housing and trigger (which wobbled very loosely in its channel).

During -- Grip safety by Ed Brown.

After -- Thumb safety, mainspring housing, Videcki trigger, and extended mag catch also by Ed Brown. Original Colt hammer was bobbed to accommodate the grip safety. Cheap Phillipean-made micarta grips, which I will probably upgrade to VZ's in the same style.

Feels great to have a "real gun" again! Plans are to shoot in IDPA CDP division during the 2013 season.

Last edited by blackscot; 12-24-12 at 07:24.