What exactly are you going to be doing in the oilfield ? I just reread the thread and did not see. If you are college educated, there are other opportunities that will net you more in the long run than driving a truck. The San Angelo area does leave a lot to be desired. I hope you like lots of Mexicans lol. Aside from that some of the food from the hole in the wall places can be good. Just be careful where you go at first.

Texas brisket is something that can only be cooked right in Texas, but all are not equal. If you go thru Wichita Falls on your way down, there is a place called the Branding Iron, which is hands down the best bbq. And do stop at Taco Casa, great cheap food. OH, and Texas Road House for a steak. Albany, Texas has the Bee Hive- best steaks in USA. If staying over night in Ft Worth be sure to go to downtown area....Pink Cadillac, Library etc.

Lots of places to hunt around there, if you get a lease you are almost guaranteed a good kill. Do not forget the yotes and hogs !!!! brings a new level of fun to hunting.

I grew up in Texas, then moved to South Florida which was the best. Now I am in northwest Oklahoma, which leaves a lot to be desired. The only thing to do up here is long range shooting. Social life is almost a standstill, which is why I drive to Dallas/Ft Worth on weekends. Working in the oilfield can be expensive if you spend money every time you stop at the 7-11 etc. take a bag lunch and do not fall into the rut of spending tons of money, its going to dry up one day. I have been in the oilfield since '94 doing wireline only. I currently do cased hole work, which is a good change from openhole logging. I do not ever recommend doing that. Long hours to say the least. Doing pumpdowns is boring at times, but when you do 6 stages a shift the money is good.

Let us know how you are doing and try to meet up with some people in the area from here.