I would avoid the small companies that use the higher powered ammo. For one thing, many of them are not willing to purchase the $10k pressure testing equipment to get accurate pressure readings from a wide variety of firearms. For years, Double Tape tested their high power loads in 1911 chambers, and when customers were getting dangerously bulging cases in firearms with less chamber support they initially said that the customer shouldn't use their ammo then.

The major manufacturers such as Federal, Remington, Speer, and Winchester actually use the proper pressure testing equipment and make their loads versatile enough to be used in everything from short barrels to carbines. Certain powder and primer combinations will allow for this, while some combinations will rupture a case in longer barrels even though the two loads have the same muzzle velocity from a 4" test barrel. They also take into account atmospheric pressure and temperature variations, which can cause spikes in pressure............something also not seriously considered by small ammo makers.

For me, I believe the HST to be the best bullet design currently available. It has a VERY thick jacket, and a harder lead core than most swaged bullets. This makes it great for barrier penetration. The HST design also expands more than any other design out there. I prefer 147gr standard pressure, or 147gr+P as it expands to larger diameters and longer lengths than the 124gr variants. Just a bigger overall hole. My second choice would be the Speer Gold Dot in 124gr+P.