Thread: Range Etiquette Question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Range Etiquette Question

I'm certainly not new to firearms or shooting but this has happened twice at the range recently so I figured I would seek input.

The range is an outdoor range with no dividers between shooting positions.

I reload, so when I can, I use a brass catcher so I don't lose brass. There are rifles and pistols that aren't set up well to use a brass catcher and in my observation, I am one of the few who actually uses a brass catcher most of the time.

In both instances the range was pretty much full, so it wasn't like I rolled into an empty range and chose a position right next to someone for the hell of it. I generally like to keep as much distance as possible.

In this scenario, twice, I've had two different people bitch at me about getting hit with brass. Most recently it was some yahoo shooting a Ruger SR308 at the fifty yard range. I was shooting my 10/22 and he was maybe getting hit with 1/10 as best as I could determine. He actually walked off in a huff after telling me he was getting hit with brass and I responded "good thing it isn't .308 or it might hurt."

Am I wrong to expect to get hit by brass at a range like this and these people are just @ssholes? Or am I not supposed to shoot out of fear they might take some brass hits?

Your input is welcome, either way.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 09-27-15 at 18:54.