My goal with this project is to have a fun, yet solid, blaster with the aesthetic of an BFPU 629. Here's where I'm at with my XM177E2 project:

photo 1-4.jpgphoto 2-2.jpg

Upper:
Brownell's A1 upper
Teardrop FA
PSA BCG
Griffin Armament XM Linear Comp

Lower:
Anderson cheapo (at least it has a pony on it)
PSA LPK
A1 grip
PSA receiver ext assy
Cheap plastic CAR stock

Component issues:
*A2 profile lower -- I'm thinking about going full arfcom and reprofiling the lower myself with a dremel and files. Strangely, I'm more comfortable with mutilating a $40 Anderson than just with buying an $150, period correct NDS lower.
*Stock -- I'm planning on getting a metal one, the two I'm considering are the one's from Tony's Custom and Essential Arms. Thoughts? Experiences
*Buffer tube -- This is a 6-position tube, and I'm contemplating either getting the NDS 2-position or just editing this post to remove all mention of a 6-position tube
*M4 handguards -- Just placeholders for now. I've been eyeing the Rock River Arms A2 CAR handguards because they seem to be a decent repro.
*Barrel -- I don't want to register this as an SBR, so I will go the pin-and-weld route with a 12.5" barrel (either OEM or cut down). I've been looking everywhere for a 12.5"-16" pencil/lightweight carbine gas barrel with an FSB already installed, and the only one I can find in stock is a 16" Daniel Defense from ADCO. The other barrels I've identified as being suitable are the 6720 Colt barrel and the Bushmaster superlight, but the Colt is out of stock everywhere and Bushmaster's website is wack right now. Suggestions?

Other issues:
*I want to give this a weathered look, any advice on how to accomplish this? I went over the small parts with some emery cloth, which satisfactorily pulled up the parkerizing, but that anodization on the receivers is tough! Advice? Recommendations?
*I'd prefer the aluminum components to be grey than black, or maybe just stripped, bare aluminum, if that looks cool.
*Once I get a barrel, any suggestions of where I can get a pin-and-weld done? ADCO seems to be highly regarded on this site, but they explicitly state they won't work on surface hardened barrels or muzzle devices (the Griffin comp is QPQ nitrided).

Anyway, guide a noob!