I happened across an article on CTD that summarized the new ammo being released by mfgs. in 2016. Under the synopsis for Federal Premium, the author discussed a new Ballistic Tip offering coming to their LE line; to be released in both .223 and .308. I'll include a link to the whole article, but for those wanting only the pertinent quote, it goes as follows.

"In the law-enforcement line, Federal has two Tactical Ballistic Tip loads—one in .223 Remington and one in .308 Winchester. The Tactical Ballistic Tip bullet’s polymer tip provides excellent accuracy, while the tapered jacket allows rapid—yet controlled—expansion on impact. The new .223 Rem. and .308 Win. loads are specifically designed for use in semi-automatic rifles, including M-16 or AR-15 variants. The ammunition is built to military specifications and utilizes low-flash propellants, the best Federal brass, and crimped primers."
http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/shot...-4-ammunition/

Federal's 2016 LE Catalogue list this new round as the T223T, and no longer lists the T223F. Both the older "F" and newer "E" are 55gr pills, with the former being a Nosler Ballistic Tip. While referenced in the 2016 Catalogue, on Federal's LE Website the new "T" version is not listed and, instead, the older "F" version remains.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Might this be an "updated" replacement of the T223F? If so, is it still using the Nosler round?

I still think the best thing to recently hit the civilian market for carbine SD was Federal's release of the Trophy Bonded Tip in their Vital Shok hunting line, but this mystery round has me intrigued.