Quote Originally Posted by lanceriley View Post
does cmmg know if thier 1/8 spr barrel can be fluted?

what if you go rifle length gas system and a 12" rail? it would show the gas tube right?

what's the best barrel profile for an 18" spr? bull? too heavy? I know I won't be lugging it around but a lighter rifle is always better to bring to the range
or do all of you flute your barrels?
A 12" rail should run right up to a rifle-length gas system. if you have a FSB, it'll come within 1/8th inch or so, if you have a low-pro block, it'll hover just next to it. you won't have any "exposed" tube.

I dont know if CMMG will flute their barrels for you, but they'll tell you if you call. i sort of doubt it, I think their barrels are pretty much get-what-you-get. The SPR i just ordered is not fluted, and I don't see any reason to get it fluted. I'm not qualified to explain why it's not really worth anything- but my assumption would be that a fluted barrel will lose some degree of accuracy as the barrel heats up. but you're not going to pound an SPR barrel, anyway- they're for precision shooting, not bulk-bullet-disposal.

as far as profile, i'd say medium profile is probably "best," and medium is what you're going to find in most of the SPRs on the market. it's thick enough to retain it's form while hot, but not so heavy as to make a hike suck ass.