I'm going back and forth about using one of my ARs for home defense, but my concern is the noise level in such a confined space. I'm not willing to get a suppressor for it at this time due to the expense and restrictions, but mainly I'm also not really too eager to use an NFA item for self defense. Should I have to actually use it, the involvement of a "silencer" might not help my case. I don't know what the legal precedent is on this, if any, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. So I'm looking for the muzzle device that's going to be the least likely to blow an eardrum. I've heard many times that the KX3 actually directs much of the concussion downrange, thus my interest.

Will the KX3 perform better than a flash hider in terms of saving the shooter's ears?

Also, will the KX3 function well on a 16'' mid length? I know they were designed for SBRs and produce back pressure, but how much? As much as a suppressor, half, 10%? If the back pressure is significant, then how much could that be mitigated with an adjustable gas block?

One last question. I know the KX3 is famous for its flash. For those who have them, have you shot them in the dark, or at least in low light? Was the flash bright enough to interrupt your sight picture or ruin your night vision?

Thanks for the help.