Here's something quite surprising.

This is the 210gr Speer Gold Dot loaded with Unique fired into gel both with and without a heavy clothing barrier. The chrono says these are running just at or slightly under 1000fps. Note that the bullet fired into bare gel shows just the tiniest amount of flattening while the clothing bullet shows no expansion whatsoever.

The bare gel bullet penetrated about 28" while the clothing bullet penetrated in excess of 32" and the bullet was found behind the blocks.

This is not the surprising thing since I wasn't expecting too much from a heavy jacketed 44 Magnum bullet at these speeds. I'm hoping that maybe something like Blue Dot can get me up into the 1100fps range to give the bullet enough oomph to actually work.

What is surprising is how well the 255gr RN LHP from GT worked. These are loaded to Skeeter spec and are running in the mid 900's. Penetration both with and without clothing is in the 14-15" range and both bullets opened nicely at these speeds. This load warrants more experimentation but certainly might be a good choice as a field/hiking load where lighter skinned four legged critters might be a threat.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk