Thread: What "reach" is expected in general from a carbine light?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

What "reach" is expected in general from a carbine light?

Here at the ranch I often have to check things out after dark and like to throw a bright light beam ahead of me with enough distance that I have time to anticipate contact well before I get there. Initially I use the truck's headlights to reveal the bogeyman hiding in the bushes, but sooner or later I have to go out on foot to check out certain areas due to the terrain.

Unfortunately, I'm increasingly frustrated that the "reach" of my old school Surefire G2 with LED conversion is maybe 35-50-ish yards at best. I know the terrain doesn't help as the hills and dense brush cast shadows when hit by the bright light.

I see ads like this for lights with a throw of over 1,000 yards and realize the G2's are really, really obsolete--but is that distance needed in a carbine light?

https://www.olightstore.com/javelot-pro.html

I'm getting to the point that I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a really low power light to illuminate my way and for use inside the house and not expect distant targets to be illuminated outside. (Was I expecting too much all along)?

I'm probably not explaining this too well, and it's something I keep forgetting to ask about until I have a reason to go out after dark.

Just what is a reasonable standard for the "reach" of a carbine light when outside in the pitch black?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 06-20-19 at 13:54.