Thread: Had to take one to the gunsmith....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Had to take one to the gunsmith....

Was out shooting last weekend with a rifle I recently acquired. I had maybe 150 rounds through it before this session. It is a used Stag M4...I bought it cheap at the bottom of the "crash" a year or so ago.....

I shot 5 rounds through it and wanted to go look at the group. Dropped the mag and went to unload the round in the chamber- charging handle wouldn't budge....Huh, well maybe I can just shoot it....Nope hammer won't fall- gun is probably slightly out of battery. Hmm....I work the charging handle pretty hard- nothing. I even try to "mortar" it open....this succeeds in tearing off part of the rim of the case but at least now I can get the action open and take a look....Case is stuck fast.

I take the rifle home, and try tapping the round loose with a cleaning rod- nothing, though I manage to knock the bullet back into the case- some progress....So, I remove upper and fill the bore with oil and let it sit for a day. Then I flip it over and pour oil into the back of the chamber- two thoughts- 1. I need to "kill" that live round 2. MAYBE some of it will soak into the chamber and help dislodge the round....

This morning I tried to knock it loose again.....Nothing.

Took it to the local gunsmith and he's going to probably pull the barrel and then drill and tap the case head and get it pulled.

Several things- rifle had functioned well and shot very accurately for the previous 150 rounds, no issues at all. The ammo was some old PMC that I found in a range bag, been needing to shoot it up....very old ammo but brass cased and M193 spec. I'm not obsessive about cleaning but I know that there is no pitting in the chamber and the rifle only had maybe 50 rounds on it since the chamber had been brushed....

Never seen anything like this, real pita!
    Last edited by Esq.; 08-21-19 at 14:19.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.