Quote Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
God help us if the average police officer is going to be running into a walmart in full gear and then make a standing 300 yard shot with his AR.
Most people don't shoot past 100 yards ever, officers don't even shoot their ARs in the academy past 100 yards. Love all these dudes who shoot at 50 yards and then think they are magically going to make a 300 yard head shot. Even if you have a 1 MOA AR with good ammo, from a bench, you're looking at a 3 inch group at 300 yards. You think an officer with an LPVO at 6x who does almost no training should be taking 300 yard head shots?

Come on guys, I like LPVs but 90% of these scenarios I read online are ridiculous.
LPVOs awesome for LE for PID and yeah they are a jack of all trades for someone who isnt hiking far with their gear.
Aimpoint for home defense, for 99.99% of people.
ACOG for hiking around. They are light, perfect magnification, good glass, cheaper than most quality LPVs. I have lots of optics but find myself grabbing an ACOG when heading out into the desert. I can blast a rabbit at 10 yards and I can see far out. LPVs are heavy and a pain when using in a buggy or vehicle. Aimpoints and ACOGs are hard to beat.

I really hate how people use the military as their justification also. These dudes overseas using LPVs are in a completely different situation than anyone at home. At home even as an officer you are accountable for the rounds you fire, in a way that people overseas are not.
This is fax.