Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
Yeah, somehow I doubt that last part...

The margins for terminal performance are not that wide as you say and as distance increases, the margins narrow further. I can think of one exception of a wide variance in weight retention but it's with a company known for questionable data and it's a bullet that shouldn't be used for terminal effect in the first place.

The answer is push the better bullet. The first problem is always connecting to the target. A miss with a marginally terminally better projectile is a terminal effect of ZERO. And even with 308 bullet selection is critical and the better performing rounds are at the expense of external performance. If you're doing an apples-to-apples say in a TTSX Barnes, one still gets more forgiveness with their shooting solution. I'll happily take a better BC for the money any day.

Also what's the context?
We talking humane precision hunting/animal harvesting
Military?
LE?
(all rhetorical)
You seem to be quite certain that I'm intent on not learning anything. Odd. Was it the misspelling bit? That was a genuine mistake. I took a 5 year or so break from the shooting community, and don't recall people talking up Creedmoor like it was God's gift to riflemen back in 2015. Clearly I've missed something.

I've seen stats that show they have 40% of the weight retention when comparing bullet to bullet. Is that limited to a single brand? Or is that generally true across the board to one extent or another? Am I correct in understanding that within say, 500-600m there will be little to no improvement in getting a hit, while suffering from reduced terminal performance? That's the big one for me.

As for roles, pretty much all of those fit. What I look for in .308/7.62 NATO is a general-purpose cartridge that has power and moderate accuracy at range. Something that can be used for close-range use (if need be) then pushed out to the 5-600m usage. I don't see Creedmoor filling that role, personally, but rather is a niche round for long-range shooting. Again, if I am in error on this, please let me know.