Many data point:

- 70cm band is normally used to describe the UHF 440 mhz ham band. But generically could kind of be applied to the business / bmrs/frs frequencies at 460 megahertz.

They are most likely using a gmrs or FRS frequency, so any of the boefeng type radios or the triumph 148 or 152 will work.

Difference is bofengs can be had for 20 bucks, where the 148 or 152 will be much more. But offers much more functionality in terms of battery capacity, Mic interfacing, etc.

- nearly all of these radios will require a PC program to configure and store channels. All but the Motorola's will come with it. Most include the programming cable.

- the bofengs (and maybe 148 "clones") can be front panel programed but it's very tedious and if you're not used to programming channels it's easy to make a mistake.

-The triumph 152 is newer than the 148 and has some nicer features like being able to use military audio inputs without having to have special amps or similar. The older ones had the military type connectors but they were wanting to talk to an electret condenser mic, rather than the 150 ohm dynamic the military audio uses.

- If you just want a radio for one event get a boefeng, and an amplified push to talk that will work with the two pin mic connector. You can also use it with DMR or other amateur radios, etc.

But if you want a more robust permanent capability already have military accessories, I'd look at the 152. But make sure you get one that will directly work with your military audio. I think there's a couple of different manufacturers, and one of them is better about the audios stuff.

- I think the Triumph 152 even has a switch internally that you can select to use either military audio or the more common electric condenser audio found on the two pin kenwood interfaces the cheap radios use.

- The Chinese 148s have been around longer and are more common. The early ones did not have military audio, but people seem to like them as accessories were more available. They might have updated them to use the military audio now, you'll have to check.

I'll probably get one of the 152's though I mostly use DMR radios lately.

- The tyt md-380 or md-390 are excellent low cost radios that do DMR in addition to fm. There's a big advantage in using the digital waveform including encryption, and it has a range advantage over FM on the same radio.

I've been buying md-380s at hamfest for 45 bucks used, and I think I paid about $69 for my new one.

- The tyt md-390 is waterproof and has a built-in GPS, and is an extremely rugged radio. It is electrically identical to the md380, so you can mix and match using the same codeplug.

Both of these will require a program to set it up, but it comes with it and the programming cable.

TYTs use the Kenwood 2 pin interface, so you would require one of the amplified ptt devices to convert from your military headsets to the Kenwood audio.

They are UHF only so you give up the use of the VHF frequencies, but to me that's boefeng space unless you wear a ham and want to use 2 m or a boater that wants to use VHF Marine.

If you head down the TYT path let me know and I'll set you up a code plug with common frequencies that you can load into your radio.

A big plus of the TYT DMR radios is they support encryption when using DMR. That's technically illegal on the commonly used gmrs frequencies, but in any kind of a shtf situation I would use it. The NSA can probably break it but it defeats most snooping.

- Moto DMR (aka mototrbo) handhelds and mobiles are showing up on the used market and are very good radios, but getting the programming software is a lot more difficult and they're just more tedious to use. I play with them and the mobiles, but it's not for inexperienced users unless you have someone locally who will program them for you.

You'll pay a premium for the moto radios. They are tough, but not that much tougher than an MD-390 to justify the cost & hassle.

- The anytone 878 is another very good handheld. It is UHF and VHF and does DMR or fm. It also has a built-in gps, but is not as rugged as the md-390. It uses 2 pin Kenwood audio.