Great class! I enjoyed it and got a lot out of it.

Before decent surplus 7.62 NATO ammo got stupidly expensive, it was the caliber I shot the most. I really enjoy the "manly rifles".

Great personal instruction from Larry Vickers and David P. We had a great group of really switched on guys.

We had a close ratio between FAL's and M14's (M1A), with one guy bringing out a M1 Garand, and one shooter using his FAL for the first day and his PTR-91(G3 clone) for the second day.

Thoughts....

The class confirmed a lot of what I already thought, that of the "Big Three" (M14, FAL, G3), the FAL takes top prize as the best all around battle rifle. The M14 takes a pretty close second place. The safety position and manipulation of the M14 sucks. The lack of decent mounting options for optics holds the M14 back as well.

The G3 system, while reliable, has worse ergonomics than an AK, and pushes the shooter around more under recoil compared to either the M14 or the FAL.

Generally, FAL triggers suck, and there isn't alot to be done about it for now. FAL's really should have the full length gas system that they were designed for, and really shouldn't have barrels less than 16".

A decent sling is a MUST. No two ways around it, you've got to have a decent sling that will allow you to transition to your handgun or to your off shoulder in as little time as possible and with as little fuss as possible.

No one brought out an AR variant in 7.62 NATO, which I was hoping someone would.

One shooter brought out a DSA OSW with an 11" barrel. While that little beastie sure was cool, it was having some serious reliablity problems. Another shooter brought out an 18" M1A dressed out in a SAGE stock, it was a cool motor scooter for sure.

I used a DSA StG-58STD as my primary. I picked the rifle up the day before, sighted it in, and swapped out the handguards for a set of non bipod cut Rhodesian ones, and swapped the buttstock for a German/Rhodesian/South African walnut stock. The heavy Stoll flash suppressor was replaced with a standard Belgian type and the bipod was taken off. Basically I turned it into a Rhodesian/South African R1 clone.

The rifle performed flawlessly for the entire course with the exception of the very last exercise where it was taken out of action by some very bad ammo that another shooter brought, and a brain fart on my part for using it.

I know that 7.62 NATO ammo prices are stupidly expensive now, but these are expensive rifles.....don't feed them crap.

Shooting a box drill with full power battle rifles will definitely seperate the men from the boys......these are heavier recoiling rifles that make getting quick follow up shots much more difficult compared to a 5.56mm carbine.

I had my father take this class as a retirement present. He'd never done anything like this, but he learned a lot and had a great time. He took a way a set of skills that he will definitely be working on. I can't thank Larry Vickers, David P., and the guys in the class enough for helping him out and making him feel welcome. Thank you.

Here are some pics. Unfortunately I didn't get an opportunity to take many, I was just too busy shooting...

High resolution 2 meg pics can be found here:

Day 1: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...20Full%20Size/

Day 2: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...20Full%20Size/

Day 1:

Target was the itty-bitty steel in the middle, between the silhouettes.

A little off shoulder action: