Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
No, its actually alot easier than most people realize.

You need:
A lockable hard case.
Big, beefy locks (dont get cheesy TSA locks. You want locks that are gonna cost at least $10 each)

Ive flown out of Honolulu and Tampa airports and it varies between the two.

You get to the counter, say you have weapons to declare. They will give you a red tag that you just sign saying you certify the weapons are unloaded. Then you put the red tag INSIDE the case and close it.

From there one of two things will happen.

A.) You will physically take the unlocked case to a TSA rep who will ask you to open it and search for explosives. Once he's done you'll put your locks on it and they'll put it with the other baggage.
or
B.) You will physically take the unlocked case to the electronic screening machine, the TSA rep will send it through the machine and give you the thumbs up that its safe. Then you will put your locks on it and the TSA rep will put it with the other baggage.

Remember, they are not allowed to unlock your case nor are they allowed to touch your firearms (except slightly if they physically inspect). Do not give them your keys, do not give them your locks. Don't let them put anything on the outside of the case that says there is a firearm inside. The only exception is after they inspect it, they MAY put a little red dot sticker or something of that sort. THat is only to show its already been inspected not that there is a firearm inside. Any violations of these are not airline violations they are federal law violations and you need to immediately ask for a supervisor.

Remember.
1. They don't handle the case until it's been screened and you've locked it. Period.
2. They don't lock the case. Period.
3. You don't give them the keys.
4. They aren't allowed to put anything on the outside indentifying it as a firearm.

Hopefully you'll get an experienced airline employee who isn't a moron and your experience will be pretty smooth. If not, just ask for a supervisor.
The following is based on my experience and my airline.

I have not flown with a rifle, only by car, but I have flown with my HGs. One thing I do when I travel by with my long guns is put them in their cases and then put those cases in a airline golf bag Nothing screams rifle like a small, thin hard case. Putting it in the golf bag makes it so that when you are travelling thru the air port and hotels and cabs you don't attract attention.

The case in bag also allows you to put the signed red tag on the outside of your locked case, but in your bag. I don't let them put the tag in the locked case. What the frick good does it do in there? If they want to see it they have to either get your key, get you or break the locks. I also lock my case back up at the counter. If they scan it and want to look at it, make them bring it to you. I have never been able to touch my case again once it has been scanned, so you might as well keep it locked. Some airports are set up that you really can't get to it again after it has been scanned. I don't know if it is true, but keeping the ammo out of the locked case seems to make it so that they don't want to look in the case- just an observation.

Some really good posts here about traveling with guns if you can find them.