Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Night time and AR camouflage

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use krylon for the most part. Remember guys, this won't be permanent if you actually use your gun. I never bothered with high temp. Hasn't been a problem yet. Only use flat or ultra flat!!! I learned the hard way there. Have fun with it and don't over think it, unless you want something specific. Search "linkpimp" for some good ideas if you want to go all out.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    To the OP:
    I'd assume the department has rules and regulations against it, but on the off chance you can, why not keep a pair of BDU's that are one size too large (fit over duty uniform) with you for when you deploy your carbine? If it's a grab-and-go situation you won't have enough time to put them on but for an armed, planned patrol you would.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Camo, or just a solid subdued color coveralls might be easier yet.
    Step in, zip up, drive on.

Conversely, instead of a full on set, perhaps just a good long in the waist jacket, like the USGI desert night breakup hooded coat that got used in Desert Storm.
    Very mild pattern of darker greens over a sort of olive green and took no longer to put on than a windbreaker.
    At least that way you could cover from head to about knee level with very little effort and an 'any color but black' rifle will blend in decently with it.

EDIT:
    This coat
    Last edited by GTifosi; 10-23-11 at 11:45.

Feedback Score

My opinion from a patrol perspective:

Part of the purpose of the uniform is for you to be easily recognizeable as a police officer. I think with that in mind, having a patrol rifle that is either solid black, or with furniture that is another solid color is about as far as I would go. I would want the public and the suspect to know exactly what level of force I am projecting. SWAT, military and some federal LEO's I can certainly see the advantage of having a camo'd up rifle for duty purposes, but that is not the same as a patrol rifle.

Now on the other hand, if you decide to paint your rifle:
    Use the camoflage pattern/colors that are going to work best in the day time, because they will also work best at night. I preffer alot of brown and darker tans, and a little bit of green.... brown is around year round (tree trunks, dirt) whereas depending on what part of the world you are in, green isn't - and as some one else pointed out already, brown works fine for moose, deer, elk etc - it should work just fine for us.
    Last edited by Preliator; 10-23-11 at 11:54.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345