Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This little piggy... got dead

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Having grown up in the midwest hunting most things and coming from a family that lives to hunt, I disagree with your assessment of me.

I won't say you are wrong, but we clearly have very different criteria. For me a "clean and quick" kill is one where the animal doesn't even run. I have seen far too many examples of very large animals dropped where they stood to accept the suggestion that it isn't possible.

This of course requires a suitable round capable of a one shot kill and proper placement of that shot. Most of the hunters I grew up with would consider having to shoot an animal twice, let alone three times, sloppy hunting. And when I was younger and not terribly proficient I received such criticisms on more than one occasion.
    I would assert that an animal dropping where it stands is the exception & not the rule. That is unless you purposefully aim to break a shoulder or the neck. Since that wastes a lot of meat, I generally go for a lung shot. The animals will run, it's just a fact. I shoot a 30-06 for 90% of my hunting and most of my shots are well inside of 100 yards due to terrain, cover and stand selection. That is more than enough gun for all game species in the South. Without a neck shot, which I don't like to use, the animal will most likely not fall where it stands. Even a shoulder shot isn't a guarantee. Wild game animals are tough and rarely fall over dead when hit. What I don't agree with are low probabilty shots taken at bad angles, too far away or obscured by vegetation. If I have a clear line of sight to vitals, the animal is within my known effective range, the angles are good and I'm confident that I will not knowingly wound the animal, that is a humane shot in my book. This case met those criteria.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Not anymore, there is no hunting of value in south Florida.

Additionally, hunting has now become more expensive than the grocery store which kind of defeats it's purpose for me. I have a close friend with property and a feral hog problem and have been invited to come out. The only thing stopping me is that it is a bit of a drive.

But when I finally drag my butt out there, I will take something a bit more reliable than a 9mm handgun. If I am going to shoot something, it is my desire to inflict as little suffering as possible. That's just me and the way I was raised.
    I suspect we weren't raised that differently. Respecting the animal & fair chase are sacred rules. Let me be clear, I didn't go hunting with a 9mm handgun. I used what was expedient & within reason for the circumstances to dispatch a nuisance animal. And I did so with as little suffering as possible.

If you expect to stop a 200+ lb wild boar in his tracks, you better shoot him in the ear. Considering the low probabilty & difficulty of hitting such a small target on a moving animal, you're more likely to wound him. A shot to the vitals, will most likely result in a short or possibly a long sprint before the animal expires. That's the reality of hunting & why I was taught how to trail wounded game as I grew up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I certainly think you need a better round than 115 gr. FMJ.

That was a lot of needless suffering.
    Needless suffering?........ok......

Load up with hydrashocks and drop him with the first two.

Also more proof that pigs arent super human or bullet proof if a 9mm can pass almost all the way through.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Enough debate... let's hear some good hog huntin' stories!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not anymore, there is no hunting of value in south Florida.

Additionally, hunting has now become more expensive than the grocery store which kind of defeats it's purpose for me. I have a close friend with property and a feral hog problem and have been invited to come out. The only thing stopping me is that it is a bit of a drive.

But when I finally drag my butt out there, I will take something a bit more reliable than a 9mm handgun. If I am going to shoot something, it is my desire to inflict as little suffering as possible. That's just me and the way I was raised.
    Not wanting to pile on, but what is your stance on bow hunting?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Having grown up in the midwest hunting most things and coming from a family that lives to hunt, I disagree with your assessment of me.

I won't say you are wrong, but we clearly have very different criteria. For me a "clean and quick" kill is one where the animal doesn't even run. I have seen far too many examples of very large animals dropped where they stood to accept the suggestion that it isn't possible.

This of course requires a suitable round capable of a one shot kill and proper placement of that shot. Most of the hunters I grew up with would consider having to shoot an animal twice, let alone three times, sloppy hunting. And when I was younger and not terribly proficient I received such criticisms on more than one occasion.
    I guess that means that you wouldn't consider bowhunting then. I've shot multiple deer with my bow and everysingle one of them ran at least 20 yards. More along the lines of at least 50 yards. All of my shots were place in the heart/lungs and were killing shots.

To mtdawg 169, that takes a lot of nerve to put your shots where you did with a big hog charging like he did. Nice job!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great pics! Here in north florida we do ALOT of hog hunting. we use dogs most of the time. there has been a few times where my dogs had them hogs running by me and i had to put them down with the ruger .44 mag.
    Keep up the good work!!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I guess that means that you wouldn't consider bowhunting then. I've shot multiple deer with my bow and everysingle one of them ran at least 20 yards. More along the lines of at least 50 yards. All of my shots were place in the heart/lungs and were killing shots.

To mtdawg 169, that takes a lot of nerve to put your shots where you did with a big hog charging like he did. Nice job!!
    I agree props for handling a charging pig well. That'd ruin a day if he closed on you.

As to the bow hunting. I can't speak for Steyr but to me bow is a different beast. I feel confident when I shoot a deer with my bow it will die. It might run a bit but probably not far 95% of the time. A 9mm vs any largish animal doesn't have that same odds. Had the hog decided to run away instead you've got a injured animal that has months of suck-itude ahead. Kind of like jack offs that gut shot cats with 22lrs for fun.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

Ive never met a hunter who said they can kill a deer or other medium+ size game 100% of the time with one shot and a drop. I think thats wildly unrealistic, and the vast majority of hunters would say, even with a clean hit, the animal will run a short distance.

CNS hits are the only surefire way to put an animal down without taking a step, and I think that would be risky since if you don't make the hit right in the perfect spot the animal will not die immediately. This is why most people go for the vitals which presents a larger target and will be fatal as well. If most people took aim for CNS hits there would be a lot more wounded animals out there.
    Last edited by Belmont31R; 10-26-11 at 16:17.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was asked to go hog hunting last week, its something I have never done. I'm in the greater Tampa bay area and was wondering what wild hogs are good to eat?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast