Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying a $2,000+ 1911?

Feedback Score
    If you are worried about your weapon printing, try a "crossbreed" brand holster. I carry everyday and I own three crossbreed's- 1911, M9, and Glock 22. They are comfortable and conceal the weapon wonderfully.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    TRS is an mtac daily

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peshawar View Post
    After seeing a lot of really expensive 1911's choke at a recent class I'm more reluctant than ever to want to depend on one to save a life. They are wonderful guns, but there simply are better choices available. Now, if you are a master gunsmith and can fix and properly maintain your own pistols, or wealthy enough to have someone else do so...more power to ya. But for the vast majority of folks a plastic gun will be a wiser choice. In my opinion.
    I remember some of the guys in my academy class were issued Kimbers by their department. They had quite a few issues with them during qualifying. There was also another guy with a Sig P220 who also hadissues with his weapon during qualifying. I believe that it was the operators and not the guns that were having issues. I have 2 Sigs, a Springfield MC Operator, and a Colt LW Commander. I have not had any issues with any of them. I think the biggest thing is that I see too many people who go out to qualify or whatever and have not actually practiced with their weapon enough. I know that this was the case with the guys in my academy class. They basically had a new gun thrown at them and I'm also thinking that they had not done much shooting in their life.

I was raised shooting weapons and now I'm luckly enough to have a range at my house. I try to get out at least once a week so I can stay proficient with my duty weapon and to make sure that it is functioning properly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The replacement value of my Heirloom Precision Best Grade Colt is about $6,000.

Currently it's on loan to my brother because he needed a single stack gun to carry through California. Illegally.

So you probably can tell how I feel.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishCop View Post
    I remember some of the guys in my academy class were issued Kimbers by their department. They had quite a few issues with them during qualifying. There was also another guy with a Sig P220 who also hadissues with his weapon during qualifying. I believe that it was the operators and not the guns that were having issues. I have 2 Sigs, a Springfield MC Operator, and a Colt LW Commander. I have not had any issues with any of them. I think the biggest thing is that I see too many people who go out to qualify or whatever and have not actually practiced with their weapon enough. I know that this was the case with the guys in my academy class. They basically had a new gun thrown at them and I'm also thinking that they had not done much shooting in their life.

I was raised shooting weapons and now I'm luckly enough to have a range at my house. I try to get out at least once a week so I can stay proficient with my duty weapon and to make sure that it is functioning properly.
    1911's require a lot more maintenance to keep running. Thats why I dropped my Wilson and went back to a Glock 17. That and 8 rounds sucks. A duty weapon should run even with minimal maintenance. Glocks don't care rather their clean or not rather their lubed or not they run. That is the way you want a duty weapon to be. You don't want it to be finicky.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Athirst5IoN View Post
    I wouldn't buy a Rolex, I think that would be a waste of money.

However I do not think putting my hard earned money into a quality firearm is a waste of money.
    Pot meet Kettle.

With that said, I rotate between a EB Special Forces and a Colt LW Commander.
    Im sure some people out there would think my choices are a waste of money too. To each their own.

Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    1911's require a lot more maintenance to keep running. Thats why I dropped my Wilson and went back to a Glock 17. That and 8 rounds sucks. A duty weapon should run even with minimal maintenance. Glocks don't care rather their clean or not rather their lubed or not they run. That is the way you want a duty weapon to be. You don't want it to be finicky.
    Pat
    I'm sorry but I just don't agree with that at all. I own and carry (one at a time!) quite a few different 1911s and I have never found that to be, even remotely, true. It is, however, a mantra that is chanted, far and wide, so many consider it to be the gospel. All I can say to those that believe it is, "You should have bought a better 1911 to begin with."
    I have had very few problems that were easily solved by a few springs, followers and (one time), a new slide stop. Buy good mags, change some springs every now and then and clean and lube is all that is needed. Besides, Glocks have no soul.
    As always, YMMV.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I carry a 1911 that Ned Christiansen did for me when off duty. It conceals and rides extremely well for me so I use it. I don't feel under gunned with it and a spare magazine. I have had zero problems with the reliability of it and trust it completely. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it on duty if allowed either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    Glocks have no soul.
    As always, YMMV.
    Which is what 95% of the reluctance to use a Glock or M&P or a similar polymer gun boils down to. Tradition, feel, and aesthetics. NOT pragmatism, and NOT efficacy. The best 1911 shooter I know carries a Glock most frequently as his CCW. I'm not trying to argue that a 1911 won't do the job, I'm just pointing out that a far cheaper pistol can do the job and maybe even do it better. It's like choosing a Bugatti over a Honda. Ok, yeah, it's cooler. But will it get you from point A to point B more reliably? No, it probably won't. Are there exceptions? Yes, that's why I'm only suggesting it as a generality (and only as one layman's opinion at that) and not a blanket statement of fact. Again, I LOVE 1911's. They're lovely. But I just don't buy into the idea that their aesthetic qualities translate into them being the best practical choice for most people.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    Most people I know with a carry permit start big and end up with a tiny 9mm semi or a J frame type.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast