Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Saw or axe? Axe or Machete? Machete or big knife?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Some of the best machetes I have owned have required a couple hours to bring them around. I like a light flexible blade too. The woodsman pal is of no interest to me. Too short.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk
    my experiment with the Cold Steel Kukri Machete has come to an end. in addition to the crappy edge, the primary grind is offset like a modified chisel grind. being left handed it is on the wrong side. my son loves it though the edge still needs work even for a right hander...

OTOH, the Jungle machete has promise! it's 2.8mm thick so it's heavier than a typical machete but only 16" long so it handles well. it's a pretty good chopper but still no match for even a good hatchet. I'll be working with a belt sander to get down to good steel and then I'll give a better opinion...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post

OTOH, the Jungle machete has promise! it's 2.8mm thick so it's heavier than a typical machete but only 16" long so it handles well. it's a pretty good chopper but still no match for even a good hatchet. I'll be working with a belt sander to get down to good steel and then I'll give a better opinion...
    If you have a chance when you finish the grind, and it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting a photo or two of the edge? I'd be really interested in that, and I bet others would enjoy looking at your work as well.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If you have a chance when you finish the grind, and it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting a photo or two of the edge? I'd be really interested in that, and I bet others would enjoy looking at your work as well.

Thanks.
    sure, but it's nothing special. now THIS guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsZb_1XfFHo really knows what he's doing...

more interesting is I'm modifying a crappy chinamart 18" I got years ago. it truly sucks but it mostly just rides on my tractor for knocking down stuff (like cobwebs ) that gets in my way when mowing. my problem is the point is so vertical that there is no cutting done there. I suppose that is useful for digging and centuries of refinement created the traditional shapes so maybe they know something that I don't? this only cost $8 so I'm not afraid of it being a total waste when all is said and done.

I'm going to trim back the length to 14" to remove some voids and profile the point in a modified tanto. first step will be a simple cut 45* to the spine. this will give a sharp point that will cut all the way to the tip. it seems like a good idea for a machete but may bend on impact so I'll evaluate and modify as I go along.

next step is I'm trying to decide whether to just leave the straight angle or curve it a bit. the tanto design's main strength is not for penetration as most people believe but to have a sturdy secondary "point" that cuts when slashing. seems tailor made for a tool like a machete but again, we'll see...

and finally, I'm going to make a new handle out of some scrap 1/2" kiln dried maple I have lying around. I'll use the original plastic one as a pattern for the general size and hole spacing but contour it more to my liking...
    Last edited by ra2bach; 08-30-13 at 14:20.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Saw, Axe, or Machete...

I've been doing a lot of hiking and overnights, and all I had with me at most was my Esee 4. But about two months ago, I seriously started to kick it up a notch with my "edged tools" requirements. And I've decided to go this route...

My main knife will be a Survive GSO 5.1 with the GSO 4.1 as a secondary. The 4.1 is being made as I type (should have it to my door step by the end of the month), and the 5.1 will be in production mid to end of Feb. and should be in my hand by mid March.

I've just bought two axes from Gransfors Bruks. Their Scandinavian Axe and Wildlife Hatchet. Those will be my main edge tool to process firewood when doing some overnight camping.

Since everyone loves pictures, here are the axes.

That doesn't mean I don't think a saw is useful. I did buy a Bahco Laplander, but I just haven't had the need to use it at all.

My reasons for going this route is as follows.

Since I live in a more wooded region, it makes more sense to have an axe than a machete.

I'm not what I like to call a "P.O.P", paranoid obsessive prepper, But I do like being prepared. In the picture is my EDC bag, which contains the necessities that I might need to get me home from work if I need to hoof it.

The distance that I would need to travel is about 7 miles if I walk the roads, but if I have to avoid people, then it's a 12-15 mile hike through wooded areas and forest along the Potomac River. I won't be carrying my scandi axe on a daily, but the wildlife hatchet does tuck-away nicely and discreetly in the bag.

So my edge tools will eventually be

small & medium size knife (machete like)
    hatchet (axe)
    folding saw (saw)

That doesn't mean I'm not going to get a machete just to get one though. My parents have their dual citizenship, and they are currently in the Philippines and will be back in June. I've asked my dad to go to one of the native blacksmiths to make a couple machetes to take back with him, a golok and a bolo style machete. And if he see's that they also make a parang style, to get that for me as well. There's a US based website called filipinobolos.com that sells some quality machetes, but I think they are overpriced for what they are really worth.
    Professionalism, it goes a long way.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigx View Post
    I've just bought two axes from Gransfors Bruks. Their Scandinavian Axe and Wildlife Hatchet. Those will be my main edge tool to process firewood when doing some overnight camping.

Since everyone loves pictures, here are the axes.

cool pack - what is it?

and, uh, did you sink the tip of that axe into the table???
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    cool pack - what is it?

It's a Tactical Tailor/Milspec Monkey Adapt Pack.

Nope, the table is actually a butchers block island that I don't use for meal prepping. It's two pieces of wood and right down the middle is a gap. Hard to tell in the pic, part of the illusion.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    cool pack - what is it?

Hahaha - I was thinking exactly the same thing! "His old lady is going to kick his ass!"

Feedback Score
    Spending most of my time in the deserts of Southern Arizona... this is where I am on the subject.

First off, I find that more and more, I want to carry less and less... and I will gladly give up some things to make more room for water! That said, I find I carry:

A small fixed blade for most chores - I am partial to the ESEE Izula II, the DPx HEST and HEFT4, and small knife I made that looks a lot like those other three.

A short machete or camp knife - here I tend to use a Marbles Camp Knife that I rehandled or a modified OKT 12" Machete.

In addition to these, I also carry a SAK OHT and a folding saw. These few tools serve me very well.

Oh, I have that MM/TT pack as well, love it so far!

I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Hahaha - I was thinking exactly the same thing! "His old lady is going to kick his ass!"
    LOL you should've seen the text when I sent a picture via phone.

Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    Oh, I have that MM/TT pack as well, love it so far!
    It's a great pack. I'm actually contemplating on buying another one in the Urban color.
    Last edited by thebigx; 01-10-14 at 09:46. Reason: added another quoted replied

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigx View Post
    LOL you should've seen the text when I sent a picture via phone.

It's a great pack. I'm actually contemplating on buying another one in the Urban color.
    going to the site it says packs in all colors except black and urban are: Availability: This product is no longer in stock with those attributes but is available with others

any idea what that means???
    never push a wrench...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast