Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vltor SBR with FOG......what??

Feedback Score
    Well we did sell the 9" Vltor with FOG system and luckily it was to a friend. We shot it last week and it was very pleasant to shoot. Shooting 75gr .223 pressure Hornady, it functioned perfectly with no issues approx 75rds fired. It had similiar flash to a 16" with bird cage (powder was Varget). It had a very mild recoil and wasn't quite as loud as a 10.5" with birdcage , not that it was quiet either it's still a SBR. I'll try to keep updating as we get to shoot it in the future.
    Last edited by Kill By Number; 03-09-14 at 12:21.

Feedback Score
    Apologies for the late post but I picked up a new SBR with the VLTOR FOG system. Mine also has a CASV-M handguard, and I paired the upper with a PWS lower that my dealer had in stock--it has an ALG trigger as well. I'm hoping to get some range time within the next week. I hadn't heard of the FOG system before seeing on the dealer's website so this thread was a huge help!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just a quick update......I was able to finally take possession of my Vltor SBR 9" last week after a wait of nearly a year for the stamp. After setting it up with an Aimpoint H1 and a Wilson TTR, I took it to the range for a quick zero and function test. I ran several types of factory and handloaded ammo in a variety of pressure ranges and the gas system in this thing seems tuned to perfection out of the box. Very happy with the Vltor SBR so far.

Feedback Score
    I finally had a chance to take it to the range this evening for a quick shakedown. I was very pleased with its performance--no functioning problems at all, and it was surprisingly soft shooting with less-than-expected muzzle blast for such a short barrel. It's hard to say for sure, but it seemed quieter and softer-shooting than the FS2000 I also had out for comparison. Have a look below...

(be kind...this is my first YouTube video—it's a little rudimentary!)

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I see the upper is available separately (pre-order). I be onboard if offered as a basic URG like BCM offers, sans hand guard, sights, BCG etcetera.
    http://www.vltorstore.com/9-vltor-sb...casv-m-green/#

"Note: The Vltor Forward Offset Gas System uses a proprietary barrel, gas block and gas tube; these parts are not interchangable with conventional AR parts."

This proprietary statement leaves me wondering if the expansion chamber/flashhider will work with conventional ARs where a linear comp is appropriate.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    looking for updates since this is one of the more interesting developments out there

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Not a lot of info/reviews/feedback on this system even though it has been out for a few years now. The bad news is that Vltor removed the 9" FOG upper from their website and don't list any spare parts.

Long story short, I ended up with a new takeoff 9" Vltor barrel and FOG system. I took it apart and weighed the pieces.

Barrel weighs 19.6oz
    Krink device including the part that screws onto the barrel weighs 5.85oz
    Offset Gas Block and gas tube weigh 2.85 oz
    Total is 28.3 oz

The gas port is bigger than 5/64 drill bit (0.078) and smaller than 3/32 (0.094), so pretty big for a 9" barrel, but that was expected with this design.

Here is the barrel showing the offset gas port:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Not a lot of info/reviews/feedback on this system even though it has been out for a few years now. The bad news is that Vltor removed the 9" FOG upper from their website and don't list any spare parts.

Long story short, I ended up with a new takeoff 9" Vltor barrel and FOG system. I took it apart and weighed the pieces.

Barrel weighs 19.6oz
    Krink device including the part that screws onto the barrel weighs 5.85oz
    Offset Gas Block and gas tube weigh 2.85 oz
    Total is 28.3 oz

The gas port is bigger than 5/64 drill bit (0.078) and smaller than 3/32 (0.094), so pretty big for a 9" barrel, but that was expected with this design.

Here is the barrel showing the offset gas port:
    I'm actually glad you resurrected this thread, I saw one of these for sale on TOS and I was reeeeeallly tempted, but hadn't heard all that much about it and was unsure.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Interesting development. Similar idea to the Arms Tech Compak 16 upper on my SBR. It has a 9.5" barrel and uses a "Gas trap" system. Difference is there is no gas port in my barrel at all. Gas pressure is collected in the trap. This is supposed to somehow keep more of the particles in the gas traveling out the muzzle and have cooler, cleaner gas running the system. I can say that this upper has been dead nuts reliable and pretty clean running for a DI gun. I run a Chrome BCG in it now, and hardly clean it anymore. I got this upper in the fall of 2004 and took it to Iraq with me. I used it on my issue M4, and never had an issue despite a few engagements where I got into my 9th and 10 mag. (The first mag was a Beta C-mag if we were mounted) It has a 1/9 progressive twist and polygonal rifling. It will not stabilize heavy rounds, (75 gn TAP) but works perfect with M193 or M885, or anything in that weight range. It is my "things that go bump in the night" gun (with Cor-Bon DPX) and will be my go to gun for all things "SHTF" (with m193) if it ever comes to my area... God forbid.

I could probably get a better shot of the gas trap, but at least I can vouch for the technology. Mine has never failed me in 11 years.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 02-05-16 at 23:10.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Tzook - Yup, I bought this on TOS recently, you shoulda pulled the trigger so I can save up some money for suppressors. And here I am with another oddball system that strays from the tried and true configs. That said, I figured I would roll the dice since Vltor/ESK/KLDavis seem to make good things. It sucks they don't sell spares but I might be able to fashion a gas tube if the need arises.

daddyusmaximus - Thanks for the info and pics. I actually looked up that system a while back when you mentioned you had one. I never knew they made a gas trap system AR until then. Reading about the early gas trap M-1 it sounds like they had problems with clogging the gas trap with carbon and moved away from the system. Sounds like your Arms Tech has worked well for you.

I wonder what the positive & negative aspects of a true gas trap system are with todays technology? And where the FOG system fits into overall picture of gas systems. Since no modern clean sheet design rifles are using these systems that might be a clue there is something flawed with the general design. If you decide to suppress either of these systems, does the lower initial pressure mean the addition of a suppressor has less of an affect on the general operation of the BCG? Interesting stuff for sure.

Anywho, I can't imagine this upper will be shot too much unless it somehow becomes more fun to shoot than the suppressed 11.5.
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 02-06-16 at 19:01.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast