Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet Check

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Diet Check

Hommies, spent some time on Calorieking.com and want to ask those in the know.

I am active duty and while I tell chicks about climbing mountains and jumping out of planes, I probably spend 80% of my time doing office shit (I run training programs so yay power point). I am getting back into running after dealing with shit like IT Band Syndrome in both knees, clocking ~8-10 miles a week not counting a weekly interval/sprint workout, I also weight train 4 times a week.

I am 6'2, 230lbs and want to lose 10-15lbs and see if I like what I see. This is what I've done the past few days to do so, not the diet that got me to 230, just want a sanity check.

Meal 1 - Nutribullet shake (Banana, blueberries, almond milk, spinach, protein powder)
    356 cal, 29p, 51c, 3.5f

Pre-Workout

Run then Lift

Protein Shake
    120 cal, 24p, 3c, 1f

Monster Absolute Zero

Meal 2 - Shredded Chicken and Kale (I'm lazy as **** and make a week's worth on Sundays)
    205 cal, 35p, .5c, 10.5f

Meal 3 - Same
    205 cal, 35p, .5c, 10.5f

Meal 4 - Ground Turkey and Broccoli
    398cal, 47.5p, 11c, 19.5f

Meal 5 - Scrambled Eggs, Cheese, Turkey
    729cal, 60p, 6c, 50f

I drink a gallon of water throughout the day, and lightly season/sauce this shit with reduced sodium soy sauce or tapitio. I may have 1 cheat meal or drink some beers per week.

Total- ~2013 calories, 230p, 72c, 95f

Thanks for any insight. Again this is just to drop some weight and get back into decent shape.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I highly recommend Cholula Chili Lime over Tapatio. Good luck getting into a grove, I'm working on the same.
    Justin

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'd eat the larger calorie meal post workout.

6'-2" 230lbs is a lot of mass, what's your fat %?

I'd ditch the monster and go for black coffee.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not sure, I'm guessing between 10 and 15, nobody believes me when I say 230. I'm pretty big muscularly, I just put the 6 pack in the cooler over the last year or so...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Diet Check

Im about two inches taller than you, and was around 225 and very fit PT wise while active duty, but had the "sea duty bulk" typical of submariners. While on shore duty, I started playing rugby and dropped to 205 while maintaining a good amount of strength and lean mass. I mention this because running got a whole lot easier as I shed the bulk. As for diet, I never got too worked up on counting calories- I just took a guesstimate on macro nutrients ratio, picked the leanest protein I could get, and rolled with that. Carbs were low glycemic for the most part, the major exception being the beer after matches. I was never shredded like a body builder, but the six pack abs did show and my energy levels were great. I drank only water and black coffee daily, with the aforementioned beer limited to post match celebrations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 03-03-15 at 22:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd shoot for 2500 calories for a week and monitor your weight and make adjustments from there. 2000 should definitely cause weight loss at your size, but you may be able to eat more and still lose.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Doesn't look too bad.

See how you do with carbs that low. Personally I would start with carbs higher (150-200) and adjust from there.

I'd also lift then run but you wouldn't catch me running in the first place. Running first is just going to hurt your workout.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Ditch the monster +1. Black coffee. +1. You don't need 230 g of protein either unless you're bulking. Usually they say you need a gram per pound of LEAN muscle mass. Getting up to 180 will be fine. And don't shy away from "good" carbs on big lift days. Your body will need the fuel and nutrients to get you thru your workout and recovery. try to add more color to your veggies and vary up the proteins. fish is also good as a natural inflammatory and protein source. I'd also keep your calorie count the same but eat more fats and less carbs on your non lift days

I'd be curious about your workouts. I always recommend a good set of compound lifts in your regular repertoire.
    Last edited by 3is; 03-04-15 at 13:48.

Feedback Score
    Doesn't that Monster have aspartame or some other synthetic sweetener?

If so...I'd ditch that in a heartbeat. I gave up diet soft drinks many years ago and I think I have less headaches and other problems by ditching synthetic sweeteners. Aspartame also used to make me hungry all the time.

I drink mostly bottled water and mineral water throughout the days now and I feel much better.

Also...why put soy sauce in a gallon of water? Soy sauce is loaded with salt and I would think that would make you more thirsty and must taste terrible.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    Also...why put soy sauce in a gallon of water? Soy sauce is loaded with salt and I would think that would make you more thirsty and must taste terrible.
    Well done.

My Monster poison of choice has sucralose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast