Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shouldering Buffer Tubes

Feedback Score

Shouldering Buffer Tubes

Hey everyone,

Would shouldering a buffertube that was attached to the gun (cmmg mk9 pistol) constitute an SBR, or is it completely legal. I asked the owner of my local gun range and he said he would "turn the other check" if I did. Still I am just curious.

Thanks

I believe the ATF sent out a memo stating that if you shouldered a pistol in any way that that changes it to a SBR. Or some bull like that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    If you want an SBR get an SBR. There are letters from ATF on both sides of the debate. There are other devices out there like the Shock Wave and Sig Brace.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    I believe the ATF memo mentioned above was in regard to the Sigtac arm brace, first they were like nah, putting it up to your shoulder doesn't change the design nor the classification of the firearm, then there were like "sup brah", looks like a paperless SBR you got there?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    If you want an SBR get an SBR. There are letters from ATF on both sides of the debate. There are other devices out there like the Shock Wave and Sig Brace.
    Not every state allows an SBR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Thank you. I have grown tired of someone always chiming in that unhelpful and amazingly inappropriate advice. I associate that "SBR or nothing" line of reasoning with "why do you need scary guns" relativism. It would be appreciated if the opinionated, pro-SBR fellows would tolerate that a tax stamp is not the universal option.

To the OP's question, it is Big Boy rules on said shouldering conduct. I would just be careful on any issue where the government has a strong taxation issue. The government viewpoint: Civil rights, maybe interested...Electoral politics, probably interested... Taxation, sure as hell interested.

Feedback Score
    It's yet to be determined. Which means that they can make an example out of you anytime they feel like it, and if they feel they can get away with it then you know they're gonna do it.

Originally, the ATF said that shouldering a pistol buffer was okay because how a gun was used didn't change its classification. Then they issued an "opinion letter" saying that shouldering a Sig brace, and even a bare pistol buffer tube, would instantly transform that pistol into an unregistered SBR, and it would thenceforth be an SBR for the rest of eternity. This is an extremely bold move on their part, and it sets a very dangerous precedent. If this is allowed to stand, then the ATF could easily ban everyone from using two hands to fire a pistol, as a pistol is defined as being designed to be fired with one hand. Then they could force everyone to register their pistols as AOWs if they wanted to use two hands, which would essentially create a de facto national pistol registry.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Thank you. I have grown tired of someone always chiming in that unhelpful and amazingly inappropriate advice. I associate that "SBR or nothing" line of reasoning with "why do you need scary guns" relativism. It would be appreciated if the opinionated, pro-SBR fellows would tolerate that a tax stamp is not the universal option.

To the OP's question, it is Big Boy rules on said shouldering conduct. I would just be careful on any issue where the government has a strong taxation issue. The government viewpoint: Civil rights, maybe interested...Electoral politics, probably interested... Taxation, sure as hell interested.
    Agreed 100%. I see nothing wrong with pistol ARs with arm braces. Well, there shouldn't even be any restrictions and legal differentiation b/w shoulder stocks and arm braces, but for what they are they're fine.
    I say get a buffer tube, and should it just happen to hit your shoulder due to the intense recoil of .223, then so be it. Big Boy rules .

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsteed08 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Would shouldering a buffertube that was attached to the gun (cmmg mk9 pistol) constitute an SBR?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dsteed
    or is it completely legal?
    Completely not legal.

I asked the owner of my local gun range and he said he would "turn the other check" if I did.
    Which check? Bail or fines?

Still I am just curious.

Thanks
    Agree with it or not, it's the (current) law. If range owner doesn't mind you shouldering your pistol just go to it. It's on you from there.

Google "United States vs Olofson" to learn how blurring laws can cost you 30 months of your life. Also note how a call from a patron (not range owner) started the whole chain of events.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Right, but you can have an AR pistol with a Shock Wave. Don't use a buffer tube as a stock. People doing stupid things is why we have ATF Letters about shockwaves and Sig Braces.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast