View Poll Results: Which optic do you prefer in a SHTF situation?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • ACOG that you can't send off to replace the element due to the SHTF situation.

40 39.22%
  • Aimpoint Comp M4S and plenty of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries but can't resupply.

36 35.29%
  • A third alternative (Please discuss in the thread).

26 25.49%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF ACOG vs. Aimpoint dilemma, what's your take?

Feedback Score

SHTF ACOG vs. Aimpoint dilemma, what's your take?

This is not just another ACOG vs. Aimpoint thread. I consider them both good-to-go; it's just a matter of preference.

*Both are built to withstand abuse
    *Both have long element life/battery life
    *Both have advantages and disadvantages as far as reticle pattern, eye relief, optical clarity, etc.

I have narrowed it down to a question of illumination serviceability, especially in a SHTF situation.

The premise is that for whatever reason, there has been some sort of catastrophe. You have an ACOG that's fairly new, but you don't know how new, and you can't send it off to have the element replaced, EVER, because of the SHTF situation. You also have an Aimpoint Comp M4s. For the Aimpoint, you purchased plenty of Energizer L91BP-8 Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries with a 20-year shelf life, but you're not sure if you would ever be able to resupply, again because of the SHTF situation.

So, it comes down to this:

Which do you prefer in a SHTF situation?

Please give some good reasons why you would pick one over the other. There are no right answers, just food for thought.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Acog with iron sites on top might take care of your concerns?
    If illumination fails you have etched reticle for distance and irons for closer.
    Last edited by Blastem; 10-08-15 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ACOG. It is supposed to take 12 years for the tritium illumination to decrease by half and another 12 for it to decrease to 25% of when new. Even then the sight still works in most conditions with the fiber optic to gather light, and even when it doesn't, the etched reticle is still visible with any ambient light. By that point, the AIMPOINT batteries may or may not work. If they don't, there is no etched reticle to back up operation of the RDS. Finally, if the ACOG is just not usable in desired conditions, I have BUIS.

Odds are, in 12 years of SHTF, I've probably broken my ACOG and found a different solution anyway.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have gone with an ACOG that has the cross reticle, so when the tritium dies or the reticle washes out I can still use it like any other scope.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've thought about this as well. My thinking leads me to believe that the ACOG would be the better optic for this circumstance for the following reasons:

1. If the tritium/fiber optic goes out at some point in time, you'll always have a very useful reticle at your disposal. If the Aimpoint dies, as in inoperable even with batteries, you'll have nothing more than a ghost ring sight.

2. Target identification with the ACOG is superior, no need for explanation.

3. Hypothetically speaking, if this catastrophe was an EMP, I'd still take my chances with the ACOG due to no electronics. This is all speculation at the moment. I wonder what Aimpoint has to say about the newer models being hardened against EMP.

This is just my opinion, I'd like to hear others opinion on this as well.
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    ACOG. It'll still be usable in daylight when the tritium runs out, provides 4x magnification for more utility, and is at least usable in close quarters. When all the batteries are drained in 10 years, fiber optic sights will still work in the day time.

However I may be biased- I'm a big advocate of magnification whenever possible, be it a 1-4x, 1-6x, 2.5-10x, fixed 4x, or red dot + magnifier.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    IMO, in a long term schumer event, the less you are dependent on technology the better off you are going to be, less to fail... Having owned two ACOGs and a NF NXS 1-4, I lean towards the NF. Have found it easier to utilize close in although I know a guy can train past the 4X challenge when shooting close distances. Both offer clean glass, with the ACOG weighing less, but the NF having better eye relief... In short, a high quality variable would get my first vote, the ACOG second. I have two Aimpoints and love them, but hate thought of having to power them...
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Voted other.

Something with an etched reticle. Be it a fixed power prismatic or variable is up to you, but there is absolutely zero worry about batteries or element lifespan to worry about to begin with.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    ACOG, for the simple reason that its still useable/handy without its illumination. With that being said, the Aimpoint is all but worthless if it runs out of batteries. Now in full disclosure my go rifle to wears a Comp M2. I do keep a large supply of batteries on hand and it also wears BUIS.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for a variable optic with an etched reticle. Go one step farther and get an illuminated reticle to get the best of both worlds.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast