Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issue pistol for corrections dept.

Feedback Score

Duty Gun

Thumb safety use = training issue.

There are no problems with other thumb safeties, given some training:

M9/92F (not only in use in LE, but also in .MIL, with a lot of personnel who don't get a lot of training).
    Ruger P series
    S&W 39/59/69 series

CO's in particular, are at risk of disarming. The average age of a CO is much higher than that of LEO. Their physical abilities, generally, are less. The population that both groups deal with is generally much younger and stronger, and COs are almost always outnumbered.

Again, we have a CO saved by their manual safety. It made a believer out of a lot of people.

Feedback Score
    Glock 19
    "WE DEAL IN LEAD FRIEND.", Steve McQueen,THe Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)/OIF 2007-08
    Colt Gov't & OM / G19 & 26/SP101
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    Being a State agency, is the bidding process going to be an issue? If so, that may limit your options.....
    Sometimes a vendor will include support in the form of training, extra parts, etc.
    In any event, good luck!
    If you want God To smile, Tell him your plans....

Member, Force Recon Association
    HR 218 Certified
    Former USMC 0311/8654

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xray 99 View Post
    A small state corrections department operates four prisons, three half-way houses, and a probation/parole bureau. What would you select as an issue pistol - one model and caliber for all. Each probation/parole officer would be issued a pistol. Remember, all prison officers will have to qualify, but only a few (transportation, SERT) carry on a regular basis. It's possible for a prison officer to go months (years) without having to carry on the job (other than qualification) - and then be told, "Go take inmate X to the hospital."
    Several folks like those you describe standardized on a common platform within their organization, implemented new programs, or otherwise updated their gear. Those most satisfied today chose the G19 or G23.

Others have battled various quality, training, and/or manufacturer support issues, some worse than others.

There is little merit in choosing a .40SW over a 9mm, but a substantial cost savings, especially over time, with the latter.

Contact the FTU staff at various state DOCs for their input. Assuring them of anonymity will help with candor.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    Glock 17 would be my choice. If you want something with a safety go with the sig line of pistols. I would say M&P but to me the stock trigger is horrible but its still a damn fine pistol.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by evilmonkey View Post
    If you want something with a safety go with the sig line of pistols.
    Very few SIGs are available with a manual safety, and most of those are competition-oriented guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Very few SIGs are available with a manual safety, and most of those are competition-oriented guns.
    Well decocker, sorry!

Feedback Score
    I am familiar with the state bid process - one can specify a particu;ar make and model, as long as there is justification for it. For example, one can submit a report on the unique attributes it possesses. The distributors then get to bid on it.

Feedback Score
    A Taser Pistol.

No fiream pisttols for general issue to all officers. AR's or .308 rifles for the tower guards. Basically, I wouldn't want any firearms inside my prison yard walls or inside any transport vehicle, but if I had to choose for the chase and/or ghost vehicle transport officers I would issue full size M&P 9mm's or Glock 17/19's. More good guys have been killed with firearms (and other means) than inside prison walls than bad guys. A prime example is the hostage crisis we had here in AZ at the Sam Lewis maximum security correctional facility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12