Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sig Sauer P229 And HK P2000 Pistols

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    For those of you who have both had any experiences with the Sig Sauer P229 and HK P2000 pistols,how do they compare to each other?What are the Pros and Cons of each over the other?And lastly,which pistol do you personally prefer?And why?
    Thanks.
    I've had both (as well as many other Sig and HK pistols) and they were decent guns. I never really warmed up to the SA/DA triggers and the LEM/DAK triggers were not much better. I've long since sold them and I run Glocks now. IMO there is no better pistol. If I had to choose between the Sig and HK I would definately pick the Sig.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    I have a SIG 229 .40 and two P2000s: one in 9, the other a .40. The P2000 9mm is my favorite pistol - the grip feels just right to me. I like the LEM trigger too, though others curse it. The P2000 .40 is not for the recoil-sensitive. The 229 is a better choice in .40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Another note about the P30:

I handled LAV's Bowie customized P30 at the Vickers pistol 1 course this month and I was sorely tempted to run out and buy one myself. I believe it is a VAST improvement over the stock P30's that I've handled on other occasions.
    Could you elaborate on the differences between LAV's Bowie customized p30 and the stock p30's that you have handled? I've shot the P30 and enjoyed it very much. I am excited to hear that Bowie can improve the P30 to the extent that it makes such a big difference.

Feedback Score
    I had a SIG 229 in .357 for a year, put a lot of rounds through it, and never had a problem. The muzzle flash was like a flamethrower during low-light shooting, but that may have been our training ammo. I really liked that gun.
    Currently I'm on my second P2000 (LEM). The first one was deadlined at about 8800 rounds due to a broken "shaped spring." I don't have my manual in front of me but I think that's what it's called. This diagnosis was after replacing two slide stops. The right side slide release lever can be a problem also, it is mounted in the plastic frame in such a way that the plastic can break and then you need a new frame. I've seen quite a few broken frames.
    I like the 229 over the 2000, and I like the USP Compact (LEM) .40 over both. I could not break my USP Compact by shooting it. I believe that in .357, you can break the SIG, but in .40 I'm told it's more reliable. We used to be authorized the 229 in .40 but I blew it and did not get one when I could. All my buddies that did, preferred it over the HK, and this with a DAO trigger that had no reset.
    Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    I don't really think that there's a bad choice to be made between the two guns. When choosing between the two personally, I chose the P229 DAK over the P2000 LEM; I found the SIG's trigger to be smoother.

I've had very pleasent experiences with my SIG-Sauers, and with the SIG-Sauer after-market support for over 16 years. Whenever it came down to my choosing between as SIG-Sauer and a HK, SIG usually won out, primarily due to better triggers and superior support.

Notwithstanding the recent QC issues evinced by Todd (which I believe primarily concern a defective take-down component), my observation is that SIGs seem to shoot well in most aspects right out of the box, while HKs seem to need further massaging to realize their potential, either action-wise or ergonomically. HK's factory aftermarket support also has, shall we say, a somewhat spotty reputation...

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceHK View Post
    Could you elaborate on the differences between LAV's Bowie customized p30 and the stock p30's that you have handled? I've shot the P30 and enjoyed it very much. I am excited to hear that Bowie can improve the P30 to the extent that it makes such a big difference.
    Actually Mr. Vickers would be a better source than me since it's his pistol....

You can see more detail about it here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ighlight=bowie

My personal take is that the reshaping of the trigger guard is a good improvement and I prefer the stipling to the standard H&K grip....but I don't have much time behind the trigger of the P30. I dryfired Mr. Vickers' pistol a few times and the overtravel stop seems like it would offer better resets than the stock trigger. I don't know if Mr. Bowie did any trigger work on Mr. Vickers' pistol beyond the overtravel stop.

From just handling several P30's the stock shape of the trigger guard and that little channel in the trigger guard would annoy me greatly...and that's without doing something like a 1,000 round course with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Actually Mr. Vickers would be a better source than me since it's his pistol....

You can see more detail about it here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ighlight=bowie

My personal take is that the reshaping of the trigger guard is a good improvement and I prefer the stipling to the standard H&K grip....but I don't have much time behind the trigger of the P30. I dryfired Mr. Vickers' pistol a few times and the overtravel stop seems like it would offer better resets than the stock trigger. I don't know if Mr. Bowie did any trigger work on Mr. Vickers' pistol beyond the overtravel stop.

From just handling several P30's the stock shape of the trigger guard and that little channel in the trigger guard would annoy me greatly...and that's without doing something like a 1,000 round course with it.

Thanks for the feedback. I am most interested in the trigger work. I guess I am lucky as the trigger guard does not bother me. I have heard whispers of HK working on a match trigger for the P30. When I do pull the trigger on a P30L hopefully the match would have made its debut by then or Bowie or some other fine pistol smith will get my work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12