Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a SD load.....

Feedback Score

Help me pick a SD load.....

Both these loads I've shot 1.25 moa @ 100yds with. Bit with the sun at my 7 o'clock, the target in the sun and my astigmatism things weren't in my favor today. But here are two loads. One is the nosler 64gr bsb 26 grs cfe223 the other is 62gr tsx 26.1 grs cfe223. The zero I keep is with a 77gr nosler custom comp and it's the circled point. The target with the tape is 100yds. The other is 25yds with a dead center hold on the grey, they all hit right at the bottom of the red dot in my pro. The nosler 64gr I jerked the trigger.

Of all this, which one would you go with for a SD round? Rifle is a stock 6920 with aimpoint pro

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 03-27-16 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    Here's the original ocw test targets I did in the bullets at 100yds so that maybe you don't think I'm full of crap that they/I shoot better than what I did today.

Feedback Score
    I prefer to stick to factory loads for self defense and use hand loads for hunting and target shooting. That said, it is completely your call and both projectiles should get the job done. No personal experience with the Barnes bullets in .223 but load the 110gr TAC-TX for 300 blackout on top of WIN296 and have been happy with it's performance. Currently shooting factory Federal with the 62gr TBBC projectile and don't have plans to change any time soon.

Feedback Score
    I figure I can do a better job than the factory loading ammunition, that and I can tailor it to my firearm. I load my own carry rounds for my pistol so why not for a rifle, being as I am less likely to have to use the rifle and it's not near as picky as my trp operator.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    So... why not run the 77 OTM for defense? That bullet is brutally effective. Bonded stuff is nice, but the 77 OTM is bad ass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    So... why not run the 77 OTM for defense? That bullet is brutally effective. Bonded stuff is nice, but the 77 OTM is bad ass.
    I went to put a cow down with the 77s, in the head they failed. First shot she went down but got back up, took 4 more. The shot placement was decent and should have worked but they didn't

Feedback Score
    I remember browsing a report like this: http://www.mlefiaa.org/files/ERPR/Te...erformance.pdf

..in the past. This report does contain 77 ft smk findings but I think there more specific info out there on terminal ballistics if 77's.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I went to put a cow down with the 77s, in the head they failed.
    Yeah.. Cattle don't equate to human threats. Probably want a 30 cal solution for that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Re: putting down cows

I've always had good luck with bulk pack .22 from a bolt action rifle when needing to dispatch large animals. Shot placement matters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I prefer to stick to factory loads for self defense and use hand loads for hunting and target shooting.
    I agree. I always try to find out what the state or local LEO's use and by the same. In the unlikely event that I have to use my firearms defensively, explaining my choice of ammo will be one less thing I have to worry about.
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast