Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I need a new reloading press--FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Feedback Score
    This press from Hornady is my next one. (if I live long enough to wear out my RCBS)
    kwg

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/pr...-iron-press#!/

Feedback Score
    I have a RCBS Reloader Special that I purchased in 1980 in excellent condition. My plan is to purchase either a Neil Jones FL Resizing Die or Redding Competition Resizing Die and a Wilson Stainless Steel Chamber Type Micrometer Seater Hand Die or Redding Competition Micrometer Bullet Seater. The reloading press will be used at home on a sturdy work bench. So any suggestions on a reloading press or presses I should purchase?

Keep the RCBS Reloader Special. Go with your choice of the Neil Jones FL Resizing Die if it has bushing capability and the Wilson Micrometer Seater. Purchase a new or used arbor press that you'll need for the Wilson Seater.

Feedback Score
    Have to say, after using my 650, even for precision rifle ammo, I couldn't go back to doing more than load development on a single stage. To hell with that nonsense!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Have to say, after using my 650, even for precision rifle ammo, I couldn't go back to doing more than load development on a single stage. To hell with that nonsense!
    I too load some of your precision .223 on my Dillon. But I couldn't do without a nice single stage to go with it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Load development or anything with powder that has to be individually measured. A Co-Ax and 650 or 1050 is a good combo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Redding Big Boss 2, and RCBS bench primer seating tool, are to arrive tomorrow.

If y'all want, I can give an impression.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Redding Big Boss 2, and RCBS bench primer seating tool, are to arrive tomorrow.

If y'all want, I can give an impression.
    For sure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    YAY! After three weeks of farting around, it turns out that USPS found the package in the post office, and instead of giving it to me, sent it back to the seller. Seller credited me. I re-ordered and the Big Boss 2 and RCBS bench priming tool arrived this evening (this time via UPS brown truck).

I didn't have time or 5/16" bolts to set it up, but this thing looks massive. Makes my old 1978 RCBS Jr. Press look small. It has a long handle with a large smooth ball on the end. It has an insert which you can remove, I presume to put very large dies in for very large cartridges. It has a hollow ram and a fitting for a hose at the bottom, to take away spent primers during the sizing/decapping cycle. I'm interested to see how well that works. It also has a primitive manual priming arm, but I'm going to pull that off and use the RCBS bench priming tool. I used to prime on the old JR press so a separate tool is something I have to figure out.

This thing looks like it's super strong. It's all made in USA. The casting is massive and the steel fittings such as the handle are heavy gauge. Looks like you could do tougher jobs like case forming if you wanted to.

I'd post photos if I knew how, but I don't.

I'm going to get fired up this weekend; first thing I'm going to do is load some fairly heavy .357 158 grain loads for my new Smith 686.

I'll let y'all know how she runs.

Feedback Score

I need a new reloading press--NEW PRESS ARRIVED

YAY! After three weeks of farting around, it turns out that USPS found the package in the post office, and instead of giving it to me, sent it back to the seller. Seller credited me. I re-ordered and the Big Boss 2 and RCBS bench priming tool arrived this evening (this time via UPS brown truck).

I didn't have time or 5/16" bolts to set it up, but this thing looks massive. Makes my old 1978 RCBS Jr. Press look small. It has a long handle with a large smooth ball on the end. It has an insert which you can remove, I presume to put very large dies in for very large cartridges. It has a hollow ram and a fitting for a hose at the bottom, to take away spent primers during the sizing/decapping cycle. I'm interested to see how well that works. It also has a primitive manual priming arm, but I'm going to pull that off and use the RCBS bench priming tool. I used to prime on the old JR press so a separate tool is something I have to figure out.

This thing looks like it's super strong. It's all made in USA. The casting is massive and the steel fittings such as the handle are heavy gauge. Looks like you could do tougher jobs like case forming if you wanted to.

I'd post photos if I knew how, but I don't.

I'm going to get fired up this weekend; first thing I'm going to do is load some fairly heavy .357 158 grain loads for my new Smith 686.

I'll let y'all know how she runs.
    It’s always frustrating when USPS screws the pooch because it's always something like this.

As to the primer tube. That's the "cheesiest" looking part of my T7 turret press. I keep expecting it to fall off needing replacement. But I'm past 5 years now and it's still hanging on and the little cap is still working to hold the spent ones in, so I guess it's not real "cheesy" after all. Good choice on going with Redding.

Fun Fact: When I bought my T7 I was looking at it, along with the Big Boss and Ultimag I think. I emailed them telling them I really wanted the T7 and was wondering how it would hold up to running high quantities of .40SW brass the their GRX die since they can be pretty tough. I was shooting USPSA Limited then and the plan was to shoot a lot. They replied that the T7 would have no issues and told me that they had sent one to Sierra Bullets years ago. Sierra called them up wanting a couple of replacement parts for it. They told them they would send a new press and that they wanted the old one back to evaluate. Why? Sierra told them they had loaded over 2 million rounds on it...
    Last edited by shadowrider; 07-27-18 at 01:06.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It also has a primitive manual priming arm, but I'm going to pull that off and use the RCBS bench priming tool.
    The priming thing just swings out of the way. No need to remove it. When it's mounted you simply flip it towards you and it just hangs.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast