Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing barrel for accuracy?

Feedback Score

Testing barrel for accuracy?

Hey guys,

Just for fun I wanted to try and test out the accuracy of a couple barrels I have.

16" LaRue Stealth and a 16" BA Modern 300 BLK.

I have never done accuracy testing, but assuming I am a good enough shot, what are your methods/procedures for said testing.

Also, I am rocking iron sights rn (budget) but am looking to get an optic. Possibly a 1-6x scope. Good idea?

Thanks homies.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Get a scope. I learned the hard way that rds/irons won’t get the job done. You’ll need something to ensure you’re getting the same point of aim every time.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Testing barrel for accuracy?

I prefer to do it at 100m but even a 4x isn’t ideal for that. I’d think that a 6x would be best, realistically. Bipod and rear bag make a huge difference too and even though I’ve only used it once, MK262 is my preferred ammo to test with.

It wasn’t until I went through really testing my barrel that I started to doubt all of the people that say they get one inch groups at 100m with a red dot. Not that it isn’t possible, but it’s not exactly easy to ensure you have a perfectly consistent POA with that setup, much less everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 08-09-18 at 17:06.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Since 100 yard ranges are plentiful, that's where I begin for testing loads/barrels. It's a lot easier to shoot small groups with at least 9x magnification, and more won't hurt (as long as the optical quality is the same).

A Leupold VX3i in 4.5-14 x 40, VX-R in 3-9 x 40, or even a Mark AR should work well for under $700. Vortex or even a Super Sniper fixed 10x would do the job.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Good scope in the 8-10x range, good bags, a hundred yard range and a good amount of test ammo should do it.

Feedback Score
    I'll echo getting all the scope you possibly can. It does make a difference to have extra magnification. If testing is your only purpose for having it, do your testing and sell it afterwards. You don't need fancy reticles for 1000 yard holds, put that money towards glass quality.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with shadowrider regarding buying a good (and popular) optic and then selling it afterward. You shouldn't lose much money on it, especially if you find one for a good price. You can always save money up front and buy a lightly used one.

As far as methods and procedures, since you're new to precision shooting, using a bench with rear bunny ears-type bag and a front rest, like a Caldwell Rock, should give you all the stability you need.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Look at any of molons accuracy tests and try to replicate his set up as much as possible.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Look at any of molons accuracy tests and try to replicate his set up as much as possible.
    Best advice given so far.

Everything starts and ends with stability and repeatibility.
    The surface being shot off of must be stable.
    A bipod is not an acceptable substitute for sandbags or a decent front rest.
    A good rear support is essential as well.

For 100 yard testing, 10x is the minimum magnification I would use personally. I have shot some really nice groups with 8x, but it's just too low to have the repeatable precise hold required to fairly assess variables.
    Have a good target that works with your reticle.
    Use multiple overlaid groups for evaluation. I have come to prefer to shoot 20 individual shots at 20 individual targets. I can go on at length why, but it's super boring.
    Here's a pretty good one for that: http://accurateshooter.net/targets/d...lesloaddev.pdf
    It is a little easier to evaluate 4 groups of 5 rounds, but be careful of getting sucked into the group while aiming.
    Here are a few that I use for that:
    http://accurateshooter.net/targets/t...iamondgrid.gif
    http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10148.pdf
    Lotsa useful targets here: http://www.stormtactical.com/stu/MOA_targets.pdf (there's like 62 different target pages in here)

Make sure you know how to adjust the parallax in the scope, and make sure it's properly focused to your eye. Should go without saying, but be sure the scope is properly mounted. This is an issue way more than it should be.

Manage heat and mirage. By about 15 rounds there will be some initial thermal effect, even if you can't see it in the scope. If you are shooting through mirage, you are not testing the barrel or ammo fairly.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Without doing everything right as mentioned above, your barrel will probably be better than you even if you have a 2 to 3 Moa barrel. Black Hills 69 or 77. grain OTM or tipped match ammo is great factory fodder.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast