Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
Posting something like this is pretty stupid.Especially when you tell people online you're thinking about doing it!
Im not actually thinking about doing this or thinking about doing anything illegal. I have a lot to lose. And I don't plan on losing everything over a firearm. This is just something I was pondering and I think it had a lot more to do with the overall mentality than with guns. I see a lot of people talking about bugging out or having a bug out car, bug out kit but I wonder if they have a place to go, a place to rest, a place to stay for an extended time. A place that was not just off grid but a place that had the same feel as home with gas, electricity, air conditioning. To me, when people talk about SHTF, they always talk about leaving, being off the grid, living like nomads.

When I hear "offgrid" or "SHTF" I just assume people are referring to an "outlaw" state of mind. Most of us could not life off the grid for long. Im sure some of you could handle it, but I doubt any of you are willing to walk away from the equity in your home, walk away from everything you know or walk away from having health insurance, TV, cable, internet etc.

Obviously, this question is mostly geared towards a total collapse. I doubt that will ever happen in the US, maybe a few states but only for a certain length of time. I picture something like a massive earthquake followed by severe floods in California, Oregon and Washington that causes trillions in damage and leaves hundreds of thousands dead and millions homeless. Something like that would consume the US capital reserves for many years. I would think that total or at least massive evacuation would be mandatory and enforced and 99% of people would be willing to pack it up and head to another state and start over, especially if the government was willing to give significant money. But for a few, I think they would stay behind and possibly try to live undetected. There might be a few who send there family on but stay behind to protect what's left of there home. In events like this, it makes me wonder what would happen.