Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remembering 9/11, 17 years later

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Remembering 9/11, 17 years later

As I drove into work this morning listening to NPR, I remember doing the same thing 17 years ago. Reports were just coming out about the first plane hitting the WTC. As the morning progressed, the second plane hit and the word spread. No one was talking about work. Then we were all sent home where I sat in front of the TV with my wife to watch the day unfold. Two co-workers from my work site never made it home; they were on AA Flt 77. I pass by their memorial every day in the hall when I come into work. The repeating images of the planes hitting the towers and the towers on fire and collapsing are burned into my memory; just like those of the failed Challenger launch in 1986 (I was a sophomore in college). I'll never forget this day.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Angry Dear OBL...

Have another one, you mother****er.

That's all. Have a nice day.

Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I remember being up late the night before and ignoring phone calls. Finally my wife woke up and answered the phone in the living room and her screaming for me to wake up and look at the TV. I think I watched cable news channels about 22 hours straight that day trying to make sense of it all. I was living in Fort Lauderdale at that time so the anthrax thing up at Boca Raton wasn't that far away. Definitely different times...

Feedback Score
    As has been said many times, never forgive, never forget.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was at Ft Benning on the rifle range when it all went down. The Drill Sergeants pulled us off the range and we had a Company formation, anyone who was from the NYC and PA were allowed to call home to make sure their families were ok. Within a week the cadences being called changed, no longer was it about killing charlie and commies, but rag heads and camel jockeys.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    As for my own memory of that day, there were several.

I drove to the electronic big box store a few miles from my old office and found the beltway (perimeter interstate around this huge city) was practically deserted at lunch hour. Walking into the big electronic store, there was not a single portable tv left. The salesmen said they were sold out of TV 10" and smaller. That was back before there were wall to wall live webcasts on the internet. The traffic info sign on the interstate had the message about national emergency and the airport (2nd or 3rd largest in CONUS) was closed. You never seen that before nor since those few days.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    I remember people in a very Hispanic neighborhood celebrating. I am still bitter over this.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I remember people in a very Hispanic neighborhood celebrating. I am still bitter over this.
    Wow. That’d probably be the most infuriating thing I’d ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Wow. That’d probably be the most infuriating thing I’d ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I won't even talk about it most of the time. I won't say where it is. I was shocked that such a thing could even happen on our soil. Most of the time I suppress the memory of it, but whenever the 9/11 commemorations start: I remember. People standing on the ground of the best country on Earth were actually cheering the 9/11 attacks. My stomach churns whenever I remember it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast