Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M16 A2 Clone

Feedback Score
    CF45597B-8122-4B49-B062-3927DF11F216.jpgOur A2’s were so trashed I don’t think it would have been worth it to upgrade them. The last time we went to the range with them was my worst range qual. Barley made score and I didn’t get a single hit from the 500. My buddy’s was so far left they took it from him and made him get a new rifle. The A4’s came straight from the factory to us and I wish I could have taken one to the range. Here’s the A4 clone I built.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    CF45597B-8122-4B49-B062-3927DF11F216.jpgOur A2’s were so trashed I don’t think it would have been worth it to upgrade them. The last time we went to the range with them was my worst range qual. Barley made score and I didn’t get a single hit from the 500. My buddy’s was so far left they took it from him and made him get a new rifle. The A4’s came straight from the factory to us and I wish I could have taken one to the range. Here’s the A4 clone I built.
    It's always a nice feeling when you get to sight in a new weapon. It's too bad the A2s are rotting away in weapons vaults, but that's how it goes. One day they'll all be demilled, and sent to the scrapper, which is too bad because I think they are very nice shooting weapons. What barrel did you use for yours?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    It's too bad the A2s are rotting away in weapons vaults, but that's how it goes. One day they'll all be demilled, and sent to the scrapper, which is too bad because I think they are very nice shooting weapons.
    I wish the government would allow a contractor to sell the uppers complete and the furniture, then scrap the lowers. $300 A2 kits sound pretty attractive and a nice way for the taxpayer to recoup some of their investment. I also realize it will never happen.

Andy

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I wish the government would allow a contractor to sell the uppers complete and the furniture, then scrap the lowers. $300 A2 kits sound pretty attractive and a nice way for the taxpayer to recoup some of their investment. I also realize it will never happen.

Andy
    That would be nice, but in today's political climate it would be a tall order.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    It's always a nice feeling when you get to sight in a new weapon. It's too bad the A2s are rotting away in weapons vaults, but that's how it goes. One day they'll all be demilled, and sent to the scrapper, which is too bad because I think they are very nice shooting weapons. What barrel did you use for yours?
    It’s a PSA upper. The freedom model I think. I was just looking for close enough. It’s beat my expectations though. My only real complaint is the barrel is more a a shiny color.

I would buy a real A2 “kit” if the government would allow them to be sold. Definitely get a new Barrel though.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    It’s a PSA upper. The freedom model I think. I was just looking for close enough. It’s beat my expectations though. My only real complaint is the barrel is more a a shiny color.

I would buy a real A2 “kit” if the government would allow them to be sold. Definitely get a new Barrel though.
    Is yours one of the new uppers that comes with a nitride coated barrel? A real surplus A2 kit would be awesome, as it seems like A2 parts have sort of dried up.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 09-20-18 at 20:19.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

I did the same thing with a nitride PSA upper for a good enuf A4 build. However, when I tore it down to check build quality I found the barrel nut was barely torqued finger tight exactly as many have warned. After a better reassembly it shoots nice groups and will ring steel to 400+. Of course with open A2 sights it takes a buddy who is an actual marksman to do this ;-)

As for the shiny nitride barrel I knew it wouldn't look right but I assumed I would paint the rifle some period correct camo. Unfortunately I can't really find many deployed overseas pics of painted A2s or A4s... Any first hand experience or better Google fu for pics?

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I did the same thing with a nitride PSA upper for a good enuf A4 build. However, when I tore it down to check build quality I found the barrel nut was barely torqued finger tight exactly as many have warned. After a better reassembly it shoots nice groups and will ring steel to 400+. Of course with open A2 sights it takes a buddy who is an actual marksman to do this ;-)

As for the shiny nitride barrel I knew it wouldn't look right but I assumed I would paint the rifle some period correct camo. Unfortunately I can't really find many deployed overseas pics of painted A2s or A4s... Any first hand experience or better Google fu for pics?

Dennis.

I'm don't think A4s and A2s were painted all that much. However it's your rifle, so paint it as you see fit. I'm tempted to paint mine, or one of my carbines, but thus far I just can't bring myself to do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

Dennis.

I can’t recall ever seeing any painted M16’s. I got out in 05 though. Maybe the special forces guys were doing it but definitly none of the regular Marines were doing it.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Thanks for the help. The only non black M16 pics I could find were ones covered in fine sand for whatever reason. I guess guys that really needed or were allowed a camo weapon probably chose shorter M4s instead.

Still leaves me stuck with a shiny black barreled A4! Maybe I will try some parkerized gray alumnahyde...

Dennis.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast