Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic arms police trade in

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Olympic arms police trade in

I picked up this Olympic arms rifle as a police trade in from my local Jacksonville Fl sheriffs office. I find it interesting in that is has a JSO serial number and it’s marked as Restricted. However, after talking with several friends at the department some of these rifles were very reliable while others had issues. Does anyone else have any experience with similar Olympic police guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's freightening to me that a P.D. would purchase these things for duty. It doesn't surprise me that some worked and some didn't as each olympic arms gun is a random assembly of it's own.

I remember the horror stories of them declining warranty claims because people changed parts. They were told that the guns were custom fitted or some crap, and they wouldn't honor any warranty with parts changed.

Ken Elmore saved me from making the Olympic arms mistake for my first AR experience 20 or so years ago....

I'm not trying to be a dick for no good reason, but I wouldn't trust a single component on that gun for any serious use. Oly is by far the worst main stream AR manufacturer there is.... even worse than LWRCi.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I worried about that - I just picked it up for the serial number and the restricted roll mark. I have several other rifles ahead of it in the rotation. Will these take milspec parts or are they proprietary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's freightening to me that a P.D. would purchase these things for duty. It doesn't surprise me that some worked and some didn't as each olympic arms gun is a random assembly of it's own.
    I've learned that a lot of Police Departments and LEOs have no idea about firearms. I have 3 in-laws that are LEO and their understanding of ARs are very limited. My BIL is issued a RRA carbine w/a Bushnell TRS-25. I told him to put his AimPoint on it but he won't listen. I tried.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    I've learned that a lot of Police Departments and LEOs have no idea about firearms.
    You got that right. The agency I worked for many years ago was on the verge of buying Bushmasters until I edumacated them to buy Colt. This was the 1990's before there were very many top tier brands.

I would only accept an Olympic AR if it were free, and it would immediately become my beater.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcr5595 View Post
    Will these take milspec parts or are they proprietary?
    Maybe?

That's the problem with Olympic. You'll get a "deal" on the gun, but then have to spend hundreds in parts to get it to run properly, when you could have just spent the money on a better rifle in the first place. If it's running well now, there's a good chance it won't if you start swapping parts out, even if the replacements are in spec.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Maybe?

That's the problem with Olympic. You'll get a "deal" on the gun, but then have to spend hundreds in parts to get it to run properly, when you could have just spent the money on a better rifle in the first place. If it's running well now, there's a good chance it won't if you start swapping parts out, even if the replacements are in spec.
    That's exactly it. Guys couldn't even change uppers on some of their lowers because nothing is in spec. The pins wouldn't push through. You just don't know what you have with an OLY. They may have made a gun here or there that works, and is somewhere in the area of spec... but you don't know.

And forget the specs you can't see or feel... metals used, finishes, testing (no chance of them doing any of that), etc. There are so many short cuts taken by companies like Bushmaster, DPMS, etc. And Oly makes those guns look like the cream of the crop.

I used to have a collection of OLY arms testimonials that I collected over the year from various post regarding the piss poor quality and customer service. I'd post it when guys would say I was lying or had an agenda.
    Last edited by markm; 10-09-18 at 12:40.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Olympic Arms SUM barrels were great shooters, however, across the line OA did not do themselves any favors by having a QC level that was all over the map. You may find your lower fits almost zero uppers aside from its own, or you may find you have a great shooter that work wonderful.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcr5595 View Post
    I find it interesting in that is has a JSO serial number and it’s marked as Restricted.
    Weren't all non-nurtured AR variants produced during the AWB "roll marked restricted"?

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Did that gun come from the range as a loaner/extra? If so, I have shot several of them and they were each quite accurate. (1.5-2" @ 100 yds with Wolf Gold) They could have benefited from a heavier buffer for sure. The info about the dimensions/tolerances among different guns being all over the map is accurate.
    OP, shoot it and let us know if you got a good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast