Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF Prosecutes Ohio Man for AR Pistol with Brace

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I thought that the ATF had said that cane tips on the end of extension tubes did not equal stocks, or am I mis-remembering?
    I believe they did.

Which is probably why the ATF didn't want the Defense to be able to present letters from the ATF about the legality of such things.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I believe they did.

Which is probably why the ATF didn't want the Defense to be able to present letters from the ATF about the legality of such things.
    Shenanigans like this are a major reason why I don't trust them and why I think pistol braces are on borrowed time. Legal today, illegal tomorrow. The ATF is just too inconsistent and turns on a whim it seems. And what they put in a letter is only good as long as they adhere to it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    OF COURSE this guy was an LPVO gay!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I have both. I can't transport a loaded SBR in my vehicle but I can legally transport and carry a loaded, concealed AR pistol. Both serve a purpose. Putting them in the same category as a bump stock isn't an accurate assessment.

The easiest solution would be to do away with the NFA and let people have bump stocks or SBRs with no restrictions.
    Exactly! Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    One of the stupid things is that you can't transport an SBR across state lines without asking permission. That was one big reason I was interested in a pistol with a brace. The laws are becoming stupid. They should do away with SBR's altogether.
    Depends on state that you line.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone know how he came to the attention of the ATF?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I thought that the ATF had said that cane tips on the end of extension tubes did not equal stocks, or am I mis-remembering?
    No lawyer, but they were playing a word game. A cane tip on an extension tube is ok. A cane tip on a brace = modifying the brace. Per the latest letter you can shoulder a brace in its unaltered approved form or something to that effect.

It was a stupid charge to file and glad the jury saw through the bs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Anyone know how he came to the attention of the ATF?
    Here's what the article says

"Toledo police responded to a domestic disturbance*call*in March at the home of Kelland and Christina Wright. Mr. Wright, a*Marine*veteran, allegedly threw a cell*phone*at his wife and was arrested. As a part of an arrest for a domestic violence complaint, police confiscated all*firearms*in the home, including an*AR*pistol*equipped with the Maxim cheek*rest.

When the*gun*was subsequently examined by the ATF, they deemed it an unregistered short*barrel*rifle*(SBR). That determination was based on the fact that, according to the ATF’s measurements, the Maxim cheek*rest*— which had been altered with the addition of a rubber “cane tip” on the end — resulted in a length of pull that’s greater than the 13.5-inch limit the ATF says is the maximum for any similar*AR*pistol*accessory."

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You know, I just don't see a reason to call the Police anymore, it would actually have to be a Life or Death event to involve them in to my life.
    I've talked with folks from the BATFE at one time when I was trying to get some information on a SBR, the irony is of the two calls I made, there was wildly diverging opinions given to me over the phone as far as information.
    This is an agency that's existence is no longer relevant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    This. Braces are the bump stocks of tomorrow. Bad juju. Just go through the process to get a legal SBR and sleep well at night.
    This coming from YOU of all people? Seriously? Mr. Freedom himself? C'mon man, jeez!

No thanks on the SBR. Don't particularly care to get an ATF permission slip to cross a state boundary, or wait 6+ months, or go through the BS of fingerprinting/LEO signoff/photo. Sleep well at night until one day they tell you to hand it over.....and you can't deny having that. Other guns may or may not "disappear" but there's no saying "I sold it at a gun show" with an NFA item.

All that said, that guy should have been charged for the idiocy of that abortion he put together.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 11-01-18 at 18:50.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast