Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage AR's

Feedback Score
    Accuracy is important but I think most people don't buy an AR to be a tack driver. I looked at Savage offerings and I don't see the attraction based on the pricing I saw.

Feedback Score
    I think that Savage's out-of-the-box accuracy appeals to the legion of weekend paper punchers who want to see how well they can shoot. For hard use, probably not so much.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgreed View Post
    So you don't care if your rifle is accurate, but you do care if it has a brand name on the side wow that makes tons of sense.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
    Accurate doesnt mean shit when your gun wont feed or extract properly due to a gas system or chamber problem.
    Accurate doesnt mean shit when a bolt lug shears off and your rifle is down for several weeks at the factory, thats IF a company's CS is even willing to fix the issue.
    Accurate doesnt mean shit when it takes X00's of rounds to "break in" and their CS calls you a liar that abused a barrel when you didnt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Please stop with your nonsense. I can't even begin to count the amount of Olympic Arms AR's I have seen that weren't even assembled correctly. Not to mention their factory dremeled feedramps into the upper receivers.

Attachment 54444
    Clearly you have never seen an M4 feedramps designed for use with single stack mags.

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I think the reasoning is that the AR is a fighting rifle first and foremost and long term durability and the ability to function reliably during potentially high round-count situations is more important than being able to shoot a dime at 200 yds. Certain manufacturers adhere to or exceed many or all of the specs determined to be important in an AR pattern rifle intended for those "serious" purposes, and other manufacturers don't.
    Well, then again, if you think about it, the military mindset once was that a wounded enemy is better than a dead enemy because of the resources that were tied up caring for them.

I believe 4 or 5 MOA @ 100M is the M4 mil-spec for accuracy, most shoot better than that, though. That may be acceptable for close-in HD, but for the most of the shooting I do 4 MOA at 100 to 120, plus my unsupported wobble would equal edge hits, or misses on the 2/3 IPSC plates I use.

So, yeah, rifles need to be as accurate as possible with the parameters of cost, size and weight.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    From what I can tell, the accuracy of Savage AR's is related to their 5R barrels combined with a medium(ish) contour and a Wylde chamber.
    Last edited by Slater; 11-09-18 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    The real question is, are they accurate? Are they reliable? After that the name on the side means little. The Colt snobs just like to hold up their's and say " you gotta have a Colt or it's crap" I have the pants off more guys with overpriced brand name AR's than I can count. Using Olympic Arms rifles. Once the basics are there the rest is up to the shooter.

It's generally the guys that buy cheap junk brands, like the POS Olympic Arms you mention that are always trying to justify their cheap junk purchases to guys with Colt, BCM, DD (to name a few) products.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Well, then again, if you think about it, the military mindset once was that a wounded enemy is better than a dead enemy because of the resources that were tied up caring for them.

I believe 4 or 5 MOA @ 100M is the M4 mil-spec for accuracy, most shoot better than that, though. That may be acceptable for close-in HD, but for the most of the shooting I do 4 MOA at 100 to 120, plus my unsupported wobble would equal edge hits, or misses on the 2/3 IPSC plates I use.

So, yeah, rifles need to be as accurate as possible with the parameters of cost, size and weight.
    Perhaps more time spent honing the user would yield better results than chasing gear.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So you don't care if your rifle is accurate, but you do care if it has a brand name on the side wow that makes tons of sense.

Not sure how "accuracy isnt the only factor to determine whether an AR is worth buying" somehow got interpreted to: "So you like inaccurate pieces of shit ARs huh"

Its like arguing with the liberal, all they do is strawman

Sorry buddy, all my ARs are capable of 2 MOA or better.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 11-09-18 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Not sure how "accuracy isnt the only factor to determine whether an AR is worth buying" somehow got interpreted to: "So you like inaccurate pieces of shit ARs"

Its like arguing with the liberal, all they do is strawman

Sorry buddy, all my ARs are capable of 2 MOA or better.
    Was it Molon who posted some stunning groups shot with a Colt 6920?

I think people read the gun rags where the ONLY good thing they can say about a mass marketed AR is that it is accurate and then assume the writer meant the accuracy was superior to other ARs.

Andy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast