Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What do you think will be the next big evolution in RDS?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I agree.. A LPV is the last thing the guys breaking down doors would take to work.
    Seeing as SOCOM is now issuing the Razor 1-6 LPVO as the standard optic on carbines (HK 416, etc), I would say that LPVOs are exactly what door kickers are taking to work. I occasionally work with a bunch of active duty 5th Group dudes and they all confirm in person, an LPVO is exactly what they want on a fighting carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    The problem with LPVOs is weight. My Accupower 1-8s are almost 2lbs with mounts. An Aimpoint Micro with mount is about 5oz.
    You own just about the heaviest LPVO on the market. Off the top of my head:

Leupold VX6 Multigun HD 1-6 = 13 oz
    Steiner P4Xi 1-4 = 14 oz
    Kahles k16i 1-6 = 15 oz
    Leupold MK6 1-6 = 17 oz
    Nightforce NX8 1-8 = 17 oz

The MK6, K16i, and the NX8 I would consider durable enough to be "battle grade" without reservation. For a fighting carbine, my preference would be the MK6 with the utterly fantastic CMR-W reticle. I'm not a fan of the NX8 except in a DMR role due to the tight eye box.

The MK6 is my favorite optic, hands down. It obviously depends on intended use, but having the additional magnification for PID or engaging small targets at 200+ yards, the magnification is invaluable. There's a reason virtually every single competitive 3 gunner is using a 1-6 or 1-8 LPVO, and as we know, competition shooting gear has always driven development and innovation of small arms for military/LE.
    Last edited by ClangClang; 12-04-18 at 06:56.

Feedback Score
    ^LPV requires a bit more training but it is being used by guys breaking down doors.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Meprolight MOR is tri-powered and has been available for a while.

Meprolight M5 RDS has motion sensor and it's standard IDF issue optic.
    Those are are not mainstream optics, though. When Aimpoint implements motion-sensing on/off, and multiple power options on the same optic, I will say those things have gone mainstream. Holosun tries to be the "go-to" optic for some of these things, but I have heard so many negative reviews of their products that they are still kind of a "niche" optic in my opinion. Same with Meprolights being "niche" optics (although their quality is not in dispute IIRC). I love my Meprolight M21, but ask the average shooter and most have never used a Meprolight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Those are are not mainstream optics, though. When Aimpoint implements motion-sensing on/off, and multiple power options on the same optic, I will say those things have gone mainstream. Holosun tries to be the "go-to" optic for some of these things, but I have heard so many negative reviews of their products that they are still kind of a "niche" optic in my opinion. Same with Meprolights being "niche" optics (although their quality is not in dispute IIRC). I love my Meprolight M21, but ask the average shooter and most have never used a Meprolight.
    Is that because it weighs 13 oz.? That is quite a bit for a red dot. It does have the non-battery power sources which are cool. Maybe they could do a smaller version at half the weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Is that because it weighs 13 oz.? That is quite a bit for a red dot. It does have the non-battery power sources which are cool. Maybe they could do a smaller version at half the weight.
    I think Meprolights are just not advertised and reviewed as frequently as other optics. You have a gazillion recommendations for Aimpoints, ACOGS, Vortex, etc., but Meprolights have always been largely ignored.

Feedback Score
    Meprolight is not mainstream optic... in North America.

Just lookup any photos of soliders in Ukraine. They strictly use Meprolight optics.

King of Jordan strictly use Meprolight MOR with his MCX. They make milspec, issued optics period.

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/10/24...l-police-force
    Last edited by mebiuspower; 12-04-18 at 13:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I think Meprolights are just not advertised and reviewed as frequently as other optics. You have a gazillion recommendations for Aimpoints, ACOGS, Vortex, etc., but Meprolights have always been largely ignored.
    If you are going to throw down big bucks for a red dot, the chances are you have done some research. I found a couple vids. but this one closed the book on Meprolight for me---go to the 16 min. mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiu0j7KV9oY

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Meprolight is not mainstream optic... in North America.

Just lookup any photos of soliders in Ukraine. They strictly use Meprolight optics.

King of Jordan strictly use Meprolight MOR with his MCX. They make milspec, issued optics period.
    Like I said, when Aimpoint adopts features like auto on/off, multiple power options, etc., then I think those options have "arrived." Just because other countries use something and one or more brands have the features doesn't mean it's evolved into everyday use.

Feedback Score
    If you are going to throw down big bucks for a red dot, the chances are you have done some research. I found a couple vids. but this one closed the book on Meprolight for me---go to the 16 min. mark.

They make a polarizer filter for the M21.

Feedback Score

I had already discovered this. Inside with a flashlight I can actually use the large aperture on the AR's iron sights more easily than the reticle. It does wash out almost completely with a flashlight inside.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Meprolight for outside in the desert. The blue tint is great in that environment, but inside a house with the flashlight on it's useless.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast