Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Vehicle Appearance Upkeep

Feedback Score
    ceramics is just another paint sealant with a twist (not knocking it)

you can often get your own ceramic kit for about $75-$150 and DIY

cost for pro application from a quality detailer is OK on a show car or high end car to pay a pro to put it on with paint correction deswirl etc.. but I would never bother with a daily driver truck to do this pro application ? that is me though and that means a quality detailer not a cheap one

BUT like the link above in my post type in ceramics maybe 5 kits will come up various prices

like above with the good sealant and after wash a detail spray you still need to do this detail spray on them and use a quality wash etc..
    no matter what you choose a high quality sealant for $20 once twice a year and detail spray or $75-$150 kit last 5 years both still require maintenance and both do not like other products with them such as wax based (mixing etc..) and you still need to wash regular
    ceramics like any sealant slowly break down and IMHO the slow part unless its a garage queen you will get less and less protection as it ages
    you might notice water not beading off as quick etc.. but it does slowly go away I would rather have a really solid coat for every winter and every summer of a quality sealant

the ceramic is a good tough coat though again my only thing to research is cost for daily driver and was it breaks down ? vs lower cost kit more often keeping it fresh in a sense

A LOT depends on where its parked (covered garaged) daily driving conditions road contaminants etc. on that 5 year and many do sell 2 year 3 year coating and more

just some food for thought and not discounting it ? since you mention claying your vehicle you know whats up but seem to like DIY vs paying a detailer ? so twice a year with a high quality sealant and knowing its fresh every season vs slow breakdown over 5 is what I am asking you to think research
    OR go with a ceramic and just keep your eye on it and redo when needed and not think of it as some miracle 5 years but do when needed and the cost is not that bad with DIY

I love washing detailing though so I enjoy that part of my vehicle maintenance
    Last edited by Honu; 12-04-18 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot guys. Just dropped $200 on Adams products.

Side note, what are everyone's thoughts on ceramic tint? I just got a new truck and need to at least do the front two windows but could be convinced to do the entire thing if it's worth it.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    ceramics is just another paint sealant with a twist (not knocking it)
    Agree. The pore-sealant trend began decades ago with the Ming finish franchise. It looked amazing and lasted for....weeks. Maybe months.

No substitute for good hand-washing technique and periodic buffing and paint correction, followed by a nice sealant, then glaze, then high-quality carnuba wax. Those things, done on a maintenance basis, will keep the car looking nice. Anything less, llike "ceramic" is just another care-care company making a buck off of our tendency to cut corners on vehicle appearance maintenance.

Vinyl wraps (Clear Bra)....yeah...the grandmother-wrapped-furniture is an apt comparison. I use it on the front-facing edges because rock-chips, and bugs. Bugs just wipe off from the stuff. If you DON"T wipe them off your clear coat, they will etch the clear coat and it will look like shit. Forever, or until you repaint. Now I don't have to worry about the front being peppered with rock chips or bug guts destroying the finish. Even after years, the stuff still looks fine

Paint maintenance and correction is labor intensive. It takes hours, even on a little car like mine and I end up doing that 2-3 times/year even with my fleet of random orbital buffers. OTOH, it really makes for a nice finish, even on an older car, and on a dark car like this and after buffing and sealing, waxing a couple of times a month with a good carnuba wax is all that's required.

Last edited by Hmac; 12-04-18 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I ain't got time for all this wash and wax business. That's a couple hours a week I can use for something more interesting.

I keep my Tacoma protected from UV and the elements by carefully applying a thin film of road filth each day as I drive. It's worked for 10 years and counting...

Feedback Score
    I used CarPro CQuartz on my wife's new car. I really liked it. Then I use hydrosilex as a top coat. On my older cars (2006 & 2010) I've just used hydrosilex with great results. Water beads up better than any was I've used. I've been very impressed. The CQuartz is better but takes longer to apply.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    followed by a nice sealant, then glaze, then high-quality carnuba wax.
    Which brands do you like for those three items?

I agree, I think it takes a combination of known good products along with a known good schedule that fits your driving environment.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Hmac, that is a beautiful car.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I ain't got time for all this wash and wax business. That's a couple hours a week I can use for something more interesting.

I keep my Tacoma protected from UV and the elements by carefully applying a thin film of road filth each day as I drive. It's worked for 10 years and counting...
    You and me both brother...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post

I get it. I spend a lot of attention on the finish of that Z car, but I've never even touched my 3/4 ton Sierra with a buffer, and it's been waxed (by a detailer) exactly once in the 33,000 miles I've owned it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You and me both brother...
    Ditto

I only wash my truck ('99 K2500) when I am tempted to buy a nice new shiny one. My DD is a Mustang GT which I keep cleaner.

Andy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast