Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Quest for the Ultimate in a Lightweight KISS Carbine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I never went on any quest, call me crazy but I like a carbine ready out of the box, well almost so when I wanted a KISS carbine the 6720 was a no-brainer.

Switched out the OEM furniture for some BCM that I had taken off a lower then picked up one of their PKMR handguard sets, threw on a DD BUIS, VCAS, and a Frankenlight that I cobbled together from a SF G2 body, SF G3 aluminum bezel, TNVC Cree Q5 lamp, and a SF Z59 clicky tailcap.

I don't own a postal scale nor do I dabble in 420 so I have no idea what the exact weight is but she's light.

That setup looks remarkably like mine except: I have a MagPul CTR stock, MagPul MOE handguards with forward p-grip, and folding MBUS instead of the DD 1.5 you have. I think both setups are close enough there's probably not a dime's worth of difference in them.

The main "weight" I'm finding seems to be in the optic: I've lugged around LPVO's, Meprolights, Aimpoint PRO's, ACOG's, and MRO's.

I'm settling on the MRO's and Aimpoint T-series red dots as being the lightest so far.

I'm toying with the idea of a Trijicon RMR with a riser as the only "big step" left to reduce the weight of the optic. As funds allow.

BTW: My lightweight carbine will be using mostly 20-round USGI mags.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For reference, this rifle as pictured (minus mag & ammo) weighs 101.5oz / 6.34lbs. If I went back to the basic factory plastic furniture and took off the QD swivels, it would only save ~2oz.

Feedback Score

As simple as possible

IMG_20180413_212041764.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Craig_PHX; 12-11-18 at 23:03.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    The main "weight" I'm finding seems to be in the optic: I've lugged around LPVO's, Meprolights, Aimpoint PRO's, ACOG's, and MRO's.

I'm settling on the MRO's and Aimpoint T-series red dots as being the lightest so far.

I'm toying with the idea of a Trijicon RMR with a riser as the only "big step" left to reduce the weight of the optic. As funds allow.
    I was going to mention you should take a look at the RMR if you want the lightest optic possible. The first person I remember seeing run one on a carbine was Pat McNamara.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I was going to mention you should take a look at the RMR if you want the lightest optic possible. The first person I remember seeing run one on a carbine was Pat McNamara.
    I've heard about this. Do you have a link to his impresssions?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    RMRs are decent red dots, they don't bother my astigmatism as much as Aimpoints do. I imagine there would be no problem running one as a stand alone.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    IMO, an RMR would be an ideal lightweight optic, but you sacrifice durability for weight. No personal experience, but they seem like they could be damaged easily if they took the brunt of a drop under an 6-8lb rifle.....not so much with the beefier housings of the EOTech,PRO, MRO, even Micro series.
    Last edited by CrowCommand; 12-12-18 at 17:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, and you probably would reinstall your front sling swivel. That would add a tiny bit of weight as well.

Forgot to quote from the TexasAggie2005 MP MOE SL equipped 6720 above.

I'm at the point that either I want to go whole hog with shaved FSB and lightweight rail and barrel nut (basic coocoo for Coco Puffs and mucho $$$), or just go with an economy IWC Mount for the factory Colt Handguards and really keep it simple and classic as well.
    Hell, why not even use the factory sling. I also like the basic lightweight MBUS Rear that comes on the Colt 6720. They are actually very durable in drop tests from what I have seen. I also like the 20rd Mags.
    Old RobS would be proud. Sometimes KISS works out pretty good and is economical too.
    Last edited by johnnywitt; 12-28-18 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I've heard about this. Do you have a link to his impresssions?
    I do not.

I recall it was just pics of him run'n one on his carbine. If I ever come across an article or video of his thoughts on them I'll be sure to pass it along. He's been writing a lot for various gun rags so we might see an article soon hopefully.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Screw it, I'm dumping my optic for this and a more powerful white light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQMtr7Dl8k

If half the claims made are true, its a winner.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast