Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking for a new .308 SD round,Ideas?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    155 grain Tap. Not as accurate as SMK but close with far better ballistics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    155 grain Tap. Not as accurate as SMK but close with far better ballistics.
    I’m sure the tap is fine but a SMK in the chest and that all she wrote. I really think many of you underestimate just what a 308 even with FMJ will do to someone. Waaaay over thinking this one. I am talking about HD. Some have mentioned the pass throughs... you better worry about the misses. Not t many documented shoot throughs killing people. Not even close to the misses.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I'm going to echo:

155-gr TAP and 150-gr Gold Dots (or Fusion MSR, same projectile).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Long time loads at work, 155 AMAX for open air and 180 Accubond for barriers.
    Now playing with a combination of 155 ELD-M and 168 Barnes.

Lots of other good ones too.

That being said, I'd not choose a .308 for SD/HD unless I had some specific distance, barrier, or threat needs.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Every one has different needs for SD/HD and one bullet/cal won't work for every where, The reason we went 7.62x51 is out here in rural America shot can be long, targets may be hard or soft and a pass through doesn't pose the danger as much as in more settled areas. What works for us may not work for you and I'm fine with that.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Long time loads at work, 155 AMAX for open air and 180 Accubond for barriers.
    Now playing with a combination of 155 ELD-M and 168 Barnes.

Lots of other good ones too.

That being said, I'd not choose a .308 for SD/HD unless I had some specific distance, barrier, or threat needs.
    How's the 168 Barnes doing accuracy wise?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I'm going to echo:

155-gr TAP and 150-gr Gold Dots (or Fusion MSR, same projectile).
    I think I’ll grab some of both and some Fed 165 GMK and see what shoots best in my guns.

Thanks Guys,
    FB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    I’m sure the tap is fine but a SMK in the chest and that all she wrote. I really think many of you underestimate just what a 308 even with FMJ will do to someone. Waaaay over thinking this one. I am talking about HD. Some have mentioned the pass throughs... you better worry about the misses. Not t many documented shoot throughs killing people. Not even close to the misses.
    Please stop.

If you are truly a HOG, then I’m quite sure you’re aware of how different the typical precision shooting is with a .308 in regard to state-side and OCONUS. When you’re globe-trotting as a Scout Sniper might tend to do, I guess accuracy over a longer distance may be king and SMK is good for that. But, SMK has such an inconsistent hollow-point that they cannot be relied upon to mushroom and transfer energy. When I was shooting 168 BH AMAX in the swirling winds of Ft Dix, I could make great hits at 600 yards utilizing a 2.5-10x power scope with boring monotony. 600 yards is a pretty beastly SD/HD length shooting stateside. Why not pair that pretty decent accuracy with a devastating round? SMK is not devastating and is dangerous as it has exited the torso of 90% of the people shot with it by LE with a average engagement distance of around 55 yards if I remember correctly. I think it’s a safe bet that LE has shot more people with 7.62x51 than anyone else state-side. Why not learn from our mistakes?

If FMJ compared to a good HP truly doesn’t matter, then do you load ball in your pistols?
    Last edited by TheTick; 01-12-19 at 22:29.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234