Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Small-of-back carry...butt-down/palm-out?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    How can you draw from that position without severely sweeping yourself. I understand this may occur incidentally from ANY carry position, but with this proposed one, it seems like you have to rotate the gun 90 degrees across your own body.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    How can you draw from that position without severely sweeping yourself. I understand this may occur incidentally from ANY carry position, but with this proposed one, it seems like you have to rotate the gun 90 degrees across your own body.
    How does anyone draw safely? How does any reholster safely?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I understand the sentiment, but a draw that necessarily requires turning the muzzle 90 degrees across the entire lower torso seems very inefficient and full of unnecessary risk. About like drawing from a cross draw holster from the side on which it is worn.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I understand the sentiment, but a draw that necessarily requires turning the muzzle 90 degrees across the entire lower torso seems very inefficient and full of unnecessary risk. About like drawing from a cross draw holster from the side on which it is worn.
    Do you think it is more fraught with peril than drawing from an AIWB holster?

I agree, SOB carry makes for a very in efficient draw, but it can be done safely - muzzle clears, forearm rotates down, muzzle oriented downward, comes alongside the leg and then the big scoop movement - the carry position and the draw are a compromise.

What was really challenging was teaching guys to draw from shoulder holsters with a modicum of safety.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I carry AIWB. I have drawn from sitting, kneeling, standing, prone, suppine, etc. At what point does any of that meet your "safe draw matrix"?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I'm puzzled by the "safe draw matrix" comment completely. It seems like you're just trying to pick a fight.

The OP wants a holster that allows him to carry the gun in the small of his back so he can grip the gun with the back of his hand against his body. This would require the muzzle to face the support side and the gun to be oriented essentially upright (sights up and mag well towards the ground) To draw, you would have to remove the gun from the holster and because of the mechanics of the wrist, rotate the gun forward while sweeping the muzzle across the entire torso.

This differs significantly from traditional small of back carry where the gun is usually at a severe angle where the grip is up and the sights are down. Think regular behind the hip carry but with a greater angle. That carry position works with the mechanics of the wrist so that the gun is drawn and presented in a much less complicated motion that doesn't require swinging the muzzle directly across your entire torso.

Also note that it was another user that had an issue with appendix carry. I use appendix carry regularly and understand the benefits and compromises of the position. My only point in any of this is to promote a discussion. I think what the OP proposes is worth really thinking through.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I'm puzzled by the "safe draw matrix" comment completely. It seems like you're just trying to pick a fight.

The OP wants a holster that allows him to carry the gun in the small of his back so he can grip the gun with the back of his hand against his body. This would require the muzzle to face the support side and the gun to be oriented essentially upright (sights up and mag well towards the ground) To draw, you would have to remove the gun from the holster and because of the mechanics of the wrist, rotate the gun forward while sweeping the muzzle across the entire torso.

This differs significantly from traditional small of back carry where the gun is usually at a severe angle where the grip is up and the sights are down. Think regular behind the hip carry but with a greater angle. That carry position works with the mechanics of the wrist so that the gun is drawn and presented in a much less complicated motion that doesn't require swinging the muzzle directly across your entire torso.

Also note that it was another user that had an issue with appendix carry. I use appendix carry regularly and understand the benefits and compromises of the position. My only point in any of this is to promote a discussion. I think what the OP proposes is worth really thinking through.
    I'm not picking a fight. HMAC started this thread with one specific aim in mind, and that wasn't to have people tell him that drawing/carrying a gun might be dangerous. He's a smart man, and a big boy, who understands the inherent danger. And as I've pointed out, AIWB has far more inherent dangers involved, and yet we all take the risk because of the great reward.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I'm not picking a fight. HMAC started this thread with one specific aim in mind, and that wasn't to have people tell him that drawing/carrying a gun might be dangerous. He's a smart man, and a big boy, who understands the inherent danger. And as I've pointed out, AIWB has far more inherent dangers involved, and yet we all take the risk because of the great reward.
    Yes, thank you. I didn’t mean for this to drift off into folks giving the newbie advice on the inherent dangers of carrying a gun, but I’m not very surprised that that advice has become part of the discussion. I’m interested in others’ opinions, always read them, and discard the things that are, for me, irrelevant, biased, or just wrong (in my experience).

The internet is always an interesting place to seek advice. As you note, there are many ways to carry a gun and hundreds of holster designs. Maybe some are better than others in an absolute sense, but the huge number of holster designs out there should probably tip us all off that there is no one way better than another and that the way we carry is largely personal preference. Personally, it’s interesting to me that someone might declare SOB (palm-in or out) as dangerous and in the same breath tout AIWB as the optimal way to carry. Just goes to show ya....when it comes to personal preference it doesn’t always have to make perfect sense.
    Last edited by Hmac; 04-17-19 at 07:18.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Personally, it’s interesting to me that someone might declare SOB (palm-in or out) as dangerous and in the same breath tout AIWB as the optimal way to carry.
    Certainly you could not be referring to me here. I mentioned carrying appendix and the benefits and compromises of the position. I hardly believe it, or anything else, to be universally "optimal."

Again, just trying to foster some discussion of a method of carry I have never heard of. Maybe the correct approach would have been to start a second thread.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    And to the point of the thread, perhaps a left handed cross draw holster would get you where you want to be. Some have a little more severe of a cant

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast