Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why did the 45 GAP/M37 Glock not catch on ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    One of the things that killed the GAP is that the slides were still too fat. Yes, it's a G17 frame but the slide is still chunky necessitating their own generic holsters whereas a .357 Sig can use standard G17/G22 accessories.
    I'm in the camp that thinks the 40 S&W and even more so 357 Sig shouldn't have been shoehorned into 9mm sized pistols.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I'm in the camp that thinks the 40 S&W and even more so 357 Sig shouldn't have been shoehorned into 9mm sized pistols.
    The primary design point of the 40S&W and 357Sig was for more powerful cartridges that could be fired from 9mm grip sized pistols. The 40S&W was way more successful than the 10mm for this reason.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm aware of the marketing department's take, and the accounting department's interest in as many parts as possible being the same. How about the engineering department? Did they think the same RSA was ideal for both the G17 and G22?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Glock tried to seize the zeitgeist of the moment by doing for .45 ACP what S&W did with the 10mm.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The primary design point of the 40S&W and 357Sig was for more powerful cartridges that could be fired from 9mm grip sized pistols.
    And used the same duty gear as the 9mm Glocks. Thus no additional equipment expenses to "upgrade" a caliber.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok, I'll try a different approach. The G22 is what happens when you give engineers a G17 and tell them make the 40 S&W fit. If you give them the 40 S&W and ask for a gun to be built around it I think it would be a bit bigger, like the GAP is.

Feedback Score
    If you give them the 40 S&W and ask for a gun to be built around it I think it would be a bit bigger, like the GAP is.
    That's what happened when the H&K USP40 and Steyr M40 were designed. The slides don't seem to be any wider than a 9mm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm aware of the marketing department's take, and the accounting department's interest in as many parts as possible being the same. How about the engineering department? Did they think the same RSA was ideal for both the G17 and G22?
    Why make an assembly bigger if you don't need to do so for function?

Outside diameter of the .40 case is .033 larger and .096 longer than the 9mm - apparently engineering felt they could ream the chambers to the size and still be safe with the pressures.

Sig did the same thing with the original P220, it was designed as a 9mm for the Swiss Armed Forces - they punched it up to .45 for the U.S. market. The main difference being the P220 was a big beefy pistol from the beginning. However, Sig also offers the P226 in 9mm, .40S&W and, of course, .357Sig. IIRC, same slide and frame dimensions, except for the holes at the muzzle end of the slide.

Other folks have done the same, such as Ruger with the P85/P89 series.

Or, maybe I'm missing your concern?
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-12-19 at 22:55.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    That's what happened when the H&K USP40 and Steyr M40 were designed. The slides don't seem to be any wider than a 9mm.
    In HK case they went backwards from Glock. Instead of taking a 9mm handgun and fitting a 40sw to it they built a 40sw handgun and then fitted a 9mm to it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I expect to see more broken parts and a narrower operating window with the fit 40 into a 9mm sized gun. Not a gun blowing up because the chamber is too thin but a shorter service life.

G22 Gen3 problems are why we have a Gen4. Gen4 doesn't share the same RSA in 9mm and 40 do they?

Several other designs that have come out AFTER the 40, do seem to be a bit chunkier to me as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast