Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I have body armor?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This thread has me strongly considering an IOTV with all the trimmings, and a bucket with mandible protection as my EDA (Every Day Armor.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    This thread has me strongly considering an IOTV with all the trimmings, and a bucket with mandible protection as my EDA (Every Day Armor.)
    Silliness aside, there are real world scenarios I've lived through recently where it was basically the collapse of society / anarchy for a week. Hurricane Florence last year cut us off from the outside world for 1 full week. Even the national guard - which they were trying to bring in to act as police (because there were no police) - couldn't really reach us, as even the ports and airport were closed, so the only way in and out was by helicopter. At least with Katrina, while it was a major disaster, you could at least get the National Guard to the city way before day 8.

There were no police or EMS for 1 week. Looting was common, though it was mostly commercial looting and not home invasions, but we saw a number of cars packed with military age males casing our neighborhood (slow driving / looking around and 4-5 people in the car... we knew they did not live near us. And there was no legitimate reason to be wandering largely obstructed roads, where you had to drive into people's lawns to get around trees on the streets). Most roads were impassible with trees down, and there was a 99% power outage rate. The police had actually publicly announced in advance that they and EMS would not be responding to calls for days, right before the storm hit.

That's the only time I've open carried a long gun and rifle plates outside, in our backyard whenever we took the dog out. Our fence concealed me, but my concern was if looters - who we're virtually certain that we saw with some regularity casing our neighborhood - jumped our fence while we were outside.

In other words, if you were shot or, really, injured in any way, you probably couldn't reach the hospital (which had generators) - especially in the earlier days. You'd have had to survive any injuries without professional medical care or law enforcement for up to 7 days. A pediatrician friend of ours ripped several tendons in his hand / wrist starting a generator. While he got urgent surgery on day 9 or 10, he spent a week with his dominant hand crippled and no help. Normally he would have gone to the OR within 24 hours with that injury. And while it was going on, we had no idea when it would end.

That's closer to a societal collapse than I'd ever thought I'd see in my lifetime. I was glad I felt as reasonably prepared for it as I could have been. If you wouldn't want more (or any) armor coverage in that setting, then we disagree. Besides the obvious survival advantages, I just slept better at night, given no functioning government for so long.

This "cool guys don't wear armor" attitude is like people making fun of attorneys... it's all insults and jokes until you actually need one. Having seen a lot of dying people, the majority of "tough guys" do not act tough at all when they are dying. I'm not blaming them or saying I'd be any different... but I'm also not saying that I'm too cool to wear armor.
    Last edited by Naphtali; 10-06-19 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    A few brief thoughts to add. My background is an MD with an intern year in trauma surgery. Have done tons of 2-3 day carbine + pistol courses (several shoothouse heavy), several one-on-one with active duty deltas and another with active duty SEAL team six at a Larry Vickers course. Wore armor for them all, so I saw what worked and didn't in terms of civilian home defense needs (including wearing it for 8 hours straight in hot weather), got good feedback from the SF guys, and talked about their gear / gear in general with a lot with the experts. I train on my own 600 rounds per month with rifle / pistol always wearing the different types of armor below (drills learned from these courses, both basic fundamentals and also more complex combat-oriented / on the move etc.).

1) If you carry a gun, you're equally likely to need armor as you are the gun. So I don't get the "you don't need armor, but you should definitely concealed carry in public" crowd. Unless you're in a gunfight with a non-human (attacking animal), then if you need the gun, you need the armor too. Lots of gunfights have ended with dead / disabled on both sides.

2) Concealed armor comes in 2 flavors. With a pistol (non-rifle) plate and without any plate.

a) Without a plate is the most concealable, as it's just a IIIa soft panel. It will save your life, but you'll spend a few weeks in the hospital recovering from your rib / sternal fractures and your collapsed lung(s) / pericardial effusion. Soft IIIa armor = the bullet + the panel will penetrate 1.75" into your body -- that's the NIJ standard. You'll be out of the fight but alive (probably).

b) With a pistol plate is thicker, though this is what I wear almost everywhere I carry, as I can conceal it well under regular clothing. I look like a "bigger guy" with a thicker torso, but not like I'm wearing armor. The huge advantage is that if a non-rifle round hits your plate, then you remain basically uninjured. Vastly superior to IIIa soft panels, where you will suffer a terrible but non-fatal injury with each hit. I wear 11" x 14" front and rear Point Blank Speed Plates, and I had Propper custom tailor 2 carriers + soft panels. It's light enough and breathes well enough that I forget that I'm wearing it as I run errands around town all day. Walking 3 miles with the dog is hotter, but easily doable in 100 degree weather with a good Under Armor base layer.

3) Non-concealed armor comes in 2 flavors. Both are viable for home defense, as you're not trying to conceal anything and, if possible, would be carrying a long gun anyway.

a) Rifle plates + a MOLLE (or equivalent) carrier that holds whatever you want (extra mags etc.). Rifle plates tend to be HEAVY AND THICK. The extra thickness of the plate often makes it hard / impossible to properly shoulder a long gun, even with a shooter's cut plate - no easy way around this - have to learn to shoot differently. Weight is the biggest downside, though getting better as newer materials are invented.

i) Ceramic plates... Boron carbide ceramic plates are the latest generation / lightest and currently worn by deltas, but SUPER expensive, and all ceramic plates are supposed to undergo a yearly x-ray to look for cracks. If you drop a ceramic plate / it gets hit hard by accident, you're supposed to get an x-ray before resuming wear. Impossible for most civilians. How lucky do you feel / how much risk are you willing to live with is the big question if you go ceramic without x-ray machine access + a "plate radiologist" to interpret the film.

ii) Steel plates will main or kill you as bullet fragments ricochet into your arms and legs and head / neck after the initial plate impact. You'll just die slower than if your torso had been hit. Or you can get lucky and the spall can miss, but that's lucky. Never use these, and they weigh a ton anyway.

iii) Other non-ceramic and non-steel plates exist (I have several Level III from Armored Mobility, Inc). Many different manufacturers, but most will NOT stop M855 (green tip), which is super common in the U.S. Make sure yours will, if you choose this route. These are typically VERY HEAVY AND THICKER vs. ceramic, but they don't require x-rays, and you can drop them without nearly the worry.

iv) Level IV plates are good vs armor piercing ammo, though that doesn't really exist outside of the military / agencies. The crack head in your house isn't going to have AP ammo, if he brought his rifle along, so Level III is enough.

b) A MOLLE carrier + a non-rifle plate (e.g. Point Blank speed plates). This is what I have if I had to take a long gun outside in a disaster etc. If I'm already open carrying a long gun, then society has collapsed at least temporarily, so exposed armor is no concern for me. This does nothing to stop a rifle round, but you'll be fine with dozens of pistol / shotgun hits to the armor (have tested 3 hits of both 9mm ball and HP ammo in the exact same place of the Speed Plates without penetration of the plate). This is MUCH lighter, and I had a back injury a few years ago that I'm still cautious about with wearing heavier armor. You need a way to carry extra mags / medical equipment / misc gear, and a ton of weight on your belt SUCKS compared to on your shoulders, so the carrier is the best place for most of your gear weight.

Long story short, I'd wear a concealable vest when you concealed carry (with a tourniquet in your pocket), and if you can afford it and make it work concealability-wise, pistol plates in it. Next most important is rifle plates or at least a MOLLE carrier with some pistol armor at home, so you can have your long gun with extra mags on your body.
    How many times were you beat up for your lunch money between kindergarten and finishing your residency? I’m going with at least once a week. I don’t even know what that extrapolates to over 20 ish years....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Someone goes out in his fenced in backyard to walk the dog wearing a plate carrier and a rifle. I thought I heard it all.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Corporal View Post
    Someone goes out in his fenced in backyard to walk the dog wearing a plate carrier and a rifle. I thought I heard it all.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don't have alot of real life experience with body armor. I do wear a stab vest in a high security corrections environment on a daily basis though. I have seen where it has helped, but inmates know you're wearing it and have targeted vulnerable areas such as the face/neck area and areas that don't cover the torso. It has helped in the fact that you can defect the blows to the areas that are covered with armor if able.

I'm far from an expert on this stuff when it comes to higher levels of armor and I'm trying to figure it out. My thoughts on body armor is not along the lines of needing it and not having it..etc, but more along the lines of buying a good dependable set and not dropping a ton of mula on it that I don't have. Ceremic vs composites vs steel plates..??? Soft armor???... trauma pads... ??? I lived in Fla when in college. I knew some folks that were activated for NG duty for Andrew and were in Miami. They said it was gangsta central. They were taking rounds from them from AKs and all sorts of rifles. From what I know from others, same thing during the New Orleans debacle. Taking this into mind, you can plan for certain scenarios, but I don't think you can plan for what will actually happen. But I think you can have the gear together and adjust for the situation as needed. Mostly thinking about prepping along the lines if something happens where the norms of society are thrown to the side because of a natural disaster, etc.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Irony: I considered body armor decades ago, and never bought any. The talk of restricting sales has made me think of it again.

Context: I'm a low-speed, high-drag weekend warrior. I teach History for a living. I'm in my mid-40s, married, with a teenaged daughter. I live in a good (boring) suburban neighborhood.

I usually finish in the middle third at my local USPSA matches. When things go well, I finish just inside the top third. I'll probably never break into the top quarter.

Body armor would be for TEOTWAWKI. I live in the middle of nowhere (seen "Murder Mountain"?). I can easily imagine that if there's a big earthquake or if the power goes out for over a week (it happens) then it'll look like The Road around here. I was a good Boy Scout: I have 40gal of water, a generator, 20gal of gas, a month's supply of food, a wood-burning stove, enough ammo to last me the rest of my life, etc., etc., etc.

I keep a pistol in a Mini-Vault under my bed for anything that goes bump in the night. Long guns are all in a cabinet in my home office, downstairs. (NB: This arrangement is not going to change. Keep your marital or bedroom-decorating advice to yourself.)

If I bought body armor, then it would live with the long guns. If things were bad enough (and I have enough time) that I'm going for the long guns, then I would put on the body armor, too.

Questions:

1. Should I bother?

2. If yes, then what's the best option for ≤$750 or so? Realistically, I'd be content with something that would defeat a pistol round or a blast of buckshot.
    If you’re going to go there, at some point get the helmet too. There no sense in not protecting your most valuable part. That said I use LBT-6094A carriers. Very durable and very comfortable. I used to have an Eagle MARCIRAS but too heavy by itself. You really only need plates. I use level IV lightweight ceramic plates by bulletproofme.com. Great plates for really good prices. Theyre not over hyped or overpriced. They’re made by CPC I think or a very well known national mfr.

I like their shooter cut triple curve front and they offer a triple curve rectangle back for a little extra coverage. I think the set was only around 5-550.

This investment is a process too. Don’t bite it in one shot. Having this might let you dabble in shoot house cqb classes too as most of those require hard armor.

Good stuff but it can be a disease. Lol

One doesn’t need to be a legit operator to have this stuff just a want and a desire to have the skills.

One thing though...if you buy it, do some training in it. It’s strange getting used to it; the extra bulk and you’ll need to change you stock length and sling some too.
    Last edited by Sparky5019; 10-14-19 at 21:10. Reason: ETA
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    Silliness aside, there are real world scenarios I've lived through recently where it was basically the collapse of society / anarchy for a week.

After giving us a half-day's notice, PG&E blacked us out for about 24 hours last week.

I expected a shitshow, and my family and I laid low (stayed home).

Apparently it was near anarchy at the few businesses that had electricity and were selling food and fuel. Sheesh...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    If you’re going to go there, at some point get the helmet too.
    Yeah, that has me thinking, too...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Should I have body armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    After giving us a half-day's notice, PG&E blacked us out for about 24 hours last week.

I expected a shitshow, and my family and I laid low (stayed home).

Apparently it was near anarchy at the few businesses that had electricity and were selling food and fuel. Sheesh...

Yeah, that has me thinking, too...
    Yeah. I saw that. Badness dude.

I’ve bit it for a Ops-Core Maritime but I think PPG or whoever makes OC knock offs and there’s now a bunch of makes; T Wendy, Hard Head Vets and a few more. Plus it give you a place to mount the next fetish...NVGs. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Plus it give you a place to mount the next fetish...NVGs. Lol

Don't laugh... I bought one of the cheap Bushnell "Equinox" units, and it's addictive.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast