Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Python

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Well since it seems like literally every YouTube video extant outside those produced by Colt’s has the new Python showing up cosmetically damaged, or mechanically defective I’d say it won’t be long.

Colt’s royally screwed the pooch on this one. Revolver people watch Hickok45 and even Hickok45 got a defective 2020 Python, his test sample had the cylinder stop advancing. I’ve cruised through the Colt forums and there are other reports of botched Pythons.

So in a few months everyone who is interested in firearms is unfortunately going to know that the new Python is plagued with problems. At which point Colt’s will have a tough time giving them away, just like Remington with the R51. Then they’ll go bankrupt permanently.
    The cylinder is because idiots are trying to shoot the gun like a Glock. Pythons do and always have had a weak trigger return. Disrupting it has always caused the cylinder to look. Period. Hell, there is a video of Jerry Miculek shooting a NOS 60s python and he says “my untrained finger locked the cylinder” and goes on to explain the issue.

It is a design flaw not a QC flaw.

Pythons are not that great of a revolver. The old ones were junk and didn’t hold up if you put them through the ringer. There is a reason S&W was the choice of LE and competitive shooters in that era.

Then you top it off with millennials that are inexperienced and don’t understand anything but Glocks, the problem is compounded. I believe Ken Hackathorn said this would happen before the pythons were even in the wild. Weird...history repeats itself and people like to bitch and cry.

Also, hicock45 is a maroon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    The cylinder is because idiots are trying to shoot the gun like a Glock. Pythons do and always have had a weak trigger return. Disrupting it has always caused the cylinder to look. Period. Hell, there is a video of Jerry Miculek shooting a NOS 60s python and he says “my untrained finger locked the cylinder” and goes on to explain the issue.

Pythons are not that great of a revolver. The old ones were junk and didn’t hold up if you put them through the ringer. There is a reason S&W was the choice of LE and competitive shooters in that era.

Then you top it off with millennials that are inexperienced and don’t understand anything but Glocks, the problem is compounded. I believe Ken Hackathorn said this would happen before the pythons were even in the wild. Weird...history repeats itself and people like to bitch and cry.

Called a few gun stores in my area. None of them are receiving any pythons in stock for quite a while. They also don’t know what they’ll sell them at which I feel like here in NY will be quite a bit over MSRP.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    Big thread over on the Colt forum. The Python is coming back in 2020, supposedly to be announced at SHOT.
    If you look this appears to in fact be a new model Python.

Attachment 60157
    The Walking Dead has fizzled out. They missed out on a huge marketing opportunity. Should've brought it back in 2012 or within a couple years after.

I think it's a good looking revolver but not worth anything over $600.

Feedback Score

I understand the weak trigger return, but was it an issue that would lock the action up in in such a way that letting the trigger all the way out and manipulating the cylinder wouldn’t “reset” everything back in order?

That appears to be what the videos of the two maroons is displaying. To my untrained eye at least.

Feedback Score
    I understand the weak trigger return, but was it an issue that would lock the action up in in such a way that letting the trigger all the way out and manipulating the cylinder wouldn’t “reset” everything back in order?

That appears to be what the videos of the two maroons is displaying. To my untrained eye at least.
    Yes. It would lock the action up. See Jerry Miculek’s video or Ken Hackathorn’s.

Feedback Score
    Interesting and what immediate action is required to get it unlocked?

Feedback Score

Colt Python

Interesting and what immediate action is required to get it unlocked?
    Pull the trigger and rapidly reset it coming fully off the trigger. If necessary, repeat or attempt to manually advance cylinder.

I would never carry a Python or other Colt snake series for self defense do to this problem. I’d carry Ruger or S&W. In fact, I had planned on buying a magnum revolver this year for bear defense. I had hoped Colt would remedy this problem but it’s evident they did not.

Last edited by lsllc; 01-15-20 at 16:14.

Feedback Score
    Well I guess my goal of a no MIM new production DA revolver is back to saving up for a Korth imported by Nighthawk.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Pull the trigger and rapidly reset it coming fully off the trigger. If necessary, repeat or attempt to manually advance cylinder.

I would never carry a Python or other Colt snake series for self defense do to this problem. I’d carry Ruger or S&W. In fact, I had planned on buying a magnum revolver this year for bear defense. I had hoped Colt would remedy this problem but it’s evident they did not.

Is that something specific to the Python? I’m new to revolvers and have about 30rds out of my Cobra.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I believe it is due to Colt trigger return spring design. V-shape, dual purpose spring (hammer spring also IIRC) not a separate spring like S&W uses.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    Is that something specific to the Python? I’m new to revolvers and have about 30rds out of my Cobra.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast